header
Home | About | Illinois Coal Mining | Contact | Facebook logo
seperator decorative top bar

Illinois
Coal & Coal Mining
History & Genealogy

seperator decorative bottom bar
Grundy County, Illinois

Featuring Coal Mining
Coal Mines
A through G
Coal Mines H - Z
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Coal in Grundy County 1883 Diamond Coal Mine Disaster Fatalities Sources
 

 
Albright Wilmington Coal Company
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Braidwood
A Mine at a depth of 40 to 53 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
A Shaft   Albright Wilmington Coal Company   1882 - 1887
[Source - No. 1 ]
The 1884 Coal Report stated that the old shaft was used as an air / escapement shaft.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Braidwood
A Mine at a depth of 65 to 70 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Unknown   Wilmington & Springfield Coal Company   1881 - 1883
B Shaft   Albright Wilmington Coal Company   1883 - 1884
[Source - No. 1 ]
Production and years of operation before July 1881 are unknown. The 1882 Coal Report indicated 100 acres had been mined. The mine had no escapement shaft or fan for ventilation when Albright Wilmington bought it. Improvements were made, but the mine was abandoned the next year.

Ballantine & Fleming
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Braidwood
A Mine at a depth of 57 feet with an average coal seam of 3.67 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Unknown   Ballantine & Fleming   1891 - 1892
[Source - No. 1 ]

Bell Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 25 to 40 feet with an average coal seam of 2.33 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bell Coal Mine   Alexander Bell   1884 - 1893
[Source - No. 1, Index 5445]
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 34, SE NW SE
A Strip Mine with an average coal seam of 2¼ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bell Coal Mine   Alex Bell   1919 - 1923
[Source - No. 1, Index 2390]
The last production was reported in 1923.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Bell Coal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 28, SW SW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 50 to 65 feet with an average coal seam of 2.04 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bell Coal Mine No. 2   Alexander Bell   1893 - 1896
Bell Coal Mine No. 2   James Bell   1896 - 1916
Idle -- Bell Coal Mine No. 2   Idle   1917 - 1918
Bell Coal Mine No. 2   Bell Brothers   1919
Idle -- Bell Coal Mine No. 2   Idle   1921
Bell Coal Mine No. 2   James Bell   1922 - 1926
[Source - No. 1, Index 2386]
The last production was reported in 1926.
 
1917 Annual Coal Report 31
Abandoned Mines.
      James Bell.

Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 35, SE NW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 80 to 112 feet with an average coal seam of 2¾ to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Suffern Coal Mine   William B. Suffern & Brothers   1878 - 1887
Suffern Coal Mine   Suffern Brothers   1887 - 1891
Big Four Coal Mine No. 1   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1891 - 1892
Big Four Wilmington Coal Mine No. 1   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1893 - 1895
[Source - No. 1, Index 2379]
The last production was reported in 1895.
 
1885 Annual Coal Report 4
Suffern Bros., Coal Branch Junction. - The air in this mine has been split into four distinct currents, which has greatly improved the ventilation.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 35, SE NW NE
An Underground a Shaft & a Slope Mine at a depth of 90 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3.33 feet in thickness.
The mian shaft was circular in design. - A slope was used for men & materials.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Maria Coal Mine
Big Four Coal Mine No. 2
  Big Four Coal Company   1893 - 1894
Sunday Creek Coal Mine No. 2   Sunday Creek Coal Company   1894 - 1895
Maria Coal Mine
Big Four Wilmington Coal Mine No. 2
  Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1895 - 1904
[Source - No. 1, Index 2381]
The last production was reported in 1904.
 
Slips in the roof caused a roof fall that resulted in a fatality in 1896.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report 7
Prospective Mines
      The Big Four have sunk a new shaft, and are equipping for a large output in the future.
 
1894 Annual Coal Report 8
New Mines
      The Big Four Company opened as equipped a new mine in first-class style near Coal City, and it promises to be one of the best in the county; the shaft is very well conditioned below, with a good uniform vein, and dry, which is a very desirable thing in this field; the shaft differs from all others in the district, being a round shaft; it is timbered with two-inch plank, whether the using of such light timber is wisdom or not is questioned by many; but the surface or drift through which the shaft is sunk is exceptionally good; if it had been otherwise, the two-inch plank might have proven to be too light.
 
1899 Annual Coal Report 13
Prospective Mines.
      The Big Four Wilmington Coal Co., has sunk a slope at its "Marie" mine as a traveling way for the employes; there is also a good escape shaft at this mine. This company is now sinking a slope, dipping about 25 degrees, one mile from this mine. This will be a new departure from hoisting coal out of a vertical shaft in this district and the result will be looked upon with much interest.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 19
Abandoned Mines
      The following mine has been abandoned in Grundy county: The Big Four-Wilmington Coal Company No. 2, at Carbon Hill.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mine No. 3
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 36, NW SW NE
An Underground Slope Mine at a depth of 70 to 85 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Big Four Wilmington Mine No. 3
Dewey Coal Mine
  Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1899 - 1907
Big Four Wilmington Coal Mine No. 3   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1907 - 1909
[Source - No. 1, Index 2382]
The last production was reported in 1909.
 
1900 Annual Coal Report 14
New Mines - Grundy County
      The Big Four Co. has sunk a new slope one mile southeast of its No. 2 mine at Coal Branch Junction; this mine is equipped in a first-class manner, and is intended for a large output.
 
1910 Annual Coal Report 24
Abandoned Mines.
      The Big Four Wilmington Coal Company has abandoned its No. 3 mine at Coal City, Grundy county.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mine No. 4
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 27, NE SE SW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 75 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Star Coal Mine No. 4   Star Coal Company   1900 - 1902
Taylor & Cavanaugh Coal Mine No. 4   Taylor & Cavanaugh   1902 - 1904
Big Four Wilmington Mine No. 4   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   Unknown
[Source - No. 1, Index 2375]
      Big Four Wilmington Mine No. 4 - No production listed under this name in the Coal Reports. Production from this location was probably reported from the tipple of one of the other Big Four Wilmington Company mines. Another alternative is that the reserves were bought as a company package, but this mine did not operate after 1904. Usually a mine is known as the name of the last producing coal company. Since contemporaneous literature referred to the Big Four Wilmington No. 4 Mine, the convention is waived.
 
1903 Annual Coal Report 17
Changes of Ownership.
      Taylor and Cavanaugh have purchased the mines at Carbon Hill, Grundy county, formerly operated by the Star Coal Co.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 19
Abandoned Mines
      The following mine has been abandoned in Grundy county: Taylor & Cavanaugh's No. 4, at Carbon Hill.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company Coal Mine No. 5
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 33, NW SE NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 118 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Star Coal Mine No. 3   Star Coal Company   1890 - 1902
Taylor & Cavanaugh Coal Mine No. 5   Taylor & Cavanaugh   1902 - 1904
Big Four Mine No. 5   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1905 - 1906
Big Four Wilmington Mine No. 5   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1906 - 1912
[Source - No. 1, Index 2378]
The top works of this mine were destroyed by a cyclone on June 12, 1912.
The last production reported was in 1912.
 
1904 Annual Coal Report 18
New Mines
      Taylor & Cavanaugh. Carbon Hill, Grundy county, have sunk a new air shaft at the face of the southeast workings of their No. 5 mine. This has greatly improved the ventilation in that section of the mine.
 
1912 Annual Coal Report 26
Cyclone Wrecks Tower.
      The top works of the Big Four Wilmington Coal Co.'s No. 5 mine, Carbon Hill, Grundy County, was destroyed by cyclone on the night of April 21, 1912.
 
1913 Annual Coal Report 27
Abandoned Mines.
      Big Four Wilmington Coal Company's No. 5 mine, at Carbon Hill, Grundy County.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Big Four Wilmington Coal Company "E" Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 26, SE NW SW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 90 to 102 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3¼ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Big Four Wilmington Coal Mine No. 6   Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1904 - 1912
"E" Coal Mine
Eileen Coal Mine
  Big Four Wilmington Coal Company   1912 - 1914
[Source - No. 1, Index 6]
The last production was reported in May 1914.
 
1903 Annual Coal Report 17
Prospective Mines.
      The Big Four Coal Co. is sinking a new shaft one mile northwest of its No. 2 mine. Coal City, Grundy county.
 
1904 Annual Coal Report 18
New Mines
      The superintendent of the Big Four Wilmington Coal Co., William Harkis. has kindly furnished the following description of the No. 6 mine of that company, located at Eileen, a new mining town in Gundy county: "This shaft is sunk on. the southwest quarter of section 36."
      The hoisting shaft sunk is in circular form and finished 13 feet in diameter in the clear, and is lined from the sand rock to the surface landing with a belt of concrete 14 inches in thickness. The depth of the shaft from the landing to the cage seats is 102 feet; this includes eight feet of surface filling, the entire surface plant being raised eight feet above the prairie level: the shaft is equipped with wire rope guides, four to each cage; the signal plan is Everharfs pneumatic system.
 
Air Shaft.
      This shaft is likewise sunk circular and is nine feet in diameter, it is also lined with concrete 12 inches thick, from sand rock to the eight foot arbitrary level above the prairie. The fan house is built of concrete, and brick, the ceiling of the engine room is of steel, no wood being used except for the short rafters of the roof, there being less than 500 feet of lumber in the whole building, and this is protected by gravel roofing. The fan is 16 feet in diameter; Brazil type, coupled direct to a 9 x 14 Atlas horizontal engine; the engine and fan, also the walls, are all built on solid concrete, insuring that the allignment will not change; an extra heavy fan-shaft is used, requiring only two shaft bearings.
      A reducing valve governor is fitted to the steam pipe, which keeps the steam at exactly 100 for the fan engine and pumps below, and also prevents any variation of boiler pressure reaching either pvimps or engine.
 
Boiler Room.
      This room is built of brick with heavy pilasters on concrete foundation eight feet high; the joists of the room are lathed on the inside with expanded steel lathing, on which is plastered an inch thick of a fire-proof cement coating; the roof sheeting is treated with a fire resisting composition; the boilers are two 150 horse-power, each internally fired and of the Scotch marine type: the shells are eight feet in diameter with a 50-inch Morrison corrugated furnace, built for a working pressure of 200 pounds. The steam leads from boilers; the various points are all independent pipes and each can be used as a unit.
 
Hoisting Engine Room.
      This room is also built of brick, on concrete foundation, eight feet high, with steel ceiling and fire resisting roof; the hoisting engines are first motion 14 x 18 with a 36-inch drum; the drum is grooved cast iron, each rope feeding behind each other, to redvice the lead. A high speed Kimball engine is also installed with a 60-light dynamo and a switchboard.
 
Tower
      The tower is built of wood, the loaded cars being weighed on top, on rails, no flat sheets being used; the cars are then dumped on a side dumping tipple, the empty car passing on to a switch back, where it engages an automatic chain, which places the car at the back of the cage. The tower is also equipped with a large double balance shaker screen, driven by a 6 x 9 Duplex engine; the tower and tipple house are the only parts of this plant on which insurance is carried. Two large pair of scales are placed, one at each end of the switches, the east pair weighing all empty cars passing to the mines, the west pair weighing all loads passing from the tipple. All railroad cars empty and loaded are so graded that the cars run by gravitation and are controlled by brakes.
 
Slope
      A slope traveling way for men and animals is driven from the surface and connects with the main bottom, seven feet high, timbered and planked throughout at a 33 per cent pitch, and is also provided with a hand rail. This slope is used as an escapement and is lighted by electricity during working hours.
 
Mule Barns
      A single story barn for the mules is located 300 feet from the slope mouth and will accommodate 50 mules: the stable is also equipped with a watering tank and mule washing arrangements and shoeing shop, the building being located inside of a 25-acre pasture, into which the mules are turned during idle time.
 
Underground
      The main shaft bottom is driven northwest and southeast with main headings turned off at 90 degrees at each end of the shaft bottom: in front of the shaft are two small diameter turn-tables to turn the car 90 degrees into line with the cage: the empty car, leaving the cage, passes down a grade to a switch back and engages one of two chains northwest or southeast; immediately in front of the chain the cars are automatically oiled, the chain delivering the car at the top of each slope; enough gravitation is then secured to place the car at the extreme end of the shaft bottom, without any labor other than one cager.
      The blacksmith shop is installed under an over cast, the fumes from which pass direct to the upcast; at the bottom of the upcast shaft is a large sump with a capacity of 10,000 gallons, built in four tight compartments, which enables cleaning out to be done without stopping. The pump room is made in the solid pillar and is ventilated by a narrow cut to the fresh air course, which keeps the pump room cool and clean.
 
Method of Working.
      The method of working is opon face long-wall, all roads being turned 90 degrees: a car with a frame over the wheels on a 24-inch gauge is used, carrying a load of 3,000 pounds, the weight of the car being 800 pounds; the car is fitted with solid ends with a chain hitching fixed to the car.
 
Ventilation
      The mine is designed for four main splits with three overcast, all returns and intakes will be on the main roads.
 
1915 Annual Coal Report 29
Abandoned Mines.
      Big Four Wilmington Coal Co., Coal City.

Blair Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County -
The location of this mine is not known. The mine's address was Morris, but mining occurred north and south of the town.
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 27 to 35 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Blair Coal Mine   George R. Blair   1884 - 1900
 This mine was idle in 1898
[Source - No. 1, Index 5422]
The last production was reported in 1900.
 
1899 Annual Coal Report 13
New Mines - Grundy County
      George R. Blair has reopened his No. 4 mine near Morris.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 40 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Blair Coal Mine   R. Blair   1902 - 1904
[Source - No. 1, Index 5235]
The last production was reported in 1904.
 
1903 Annual Coal Report 17
New Mines
      George Blair has opened a new mine near Morris, Grundy county.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 19
Abandoned Mines
      The following mine has been abandoned in Grundy county: R. Blair's mine, east of Moiris.

Bluff Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, NE SE NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 48 to 62 feet with an average coal seam of 2.07 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Laherty Coal Mine   Laherty Brothers   1892 - 1894
Cryer Coal Mine No. 2   James Cryer   1894 - 1896
Laherty Coal Mine   Laherty Brothers   1896 - 1897
Laherty Coal Mine   Thomas Fleming & Company   1898 - 1899
Bluff Coal Mine   Byrnes & Fleming   1899 - 1913
[Source - No. 1, Index 2338]
This mine was purchased by Thomas Fleming & Company in 1898, but reported under the same name through 1899.
The last production was reported in 1913.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report 7
New Mines
      Leharty Bros. mine, north of Morris
 
1899 Annual Coal Report 13
New Mines - Grundy County
      Thomas Fleming & Co. have purchased the mine formerly operated by William Laherty, near Morris.
 
1914 Annual Coal Report 28
Abandoned Mines.
      Byrnes & Fleming, Morris.

Braceville Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
1884 Annual Coal Report 3
      At Braceville, I found the mines in very poor condition in regard to air and air-ways, with nothing but the exhaust steam from the pumps to produce an air current in either mine. The roadways in which the coal was run were in little better shape, and altogether they looked like mines about to be abandoned.
      Casualties range high in these mines. They probably are the most dangerous workings in the State. The large amount of water continually percolating down through the soapstone, makes it drop without the least warning, often burying the miner below it, and sometimes causing death. Nothing but the most judicious care and cool judgment on the part of the miner, together with the most liberal supply of props and caps on the part of the company, can secure safety to the miner in his room.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 26, SE corner of NW NE SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 105 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Bruce Coal Mine   Bruce Coal Company   circa 1874 - 1879
Braceville Coal Mine No. 1   Braceville Coal Company
Owned by Chicago, Milwaukee &
St. Paul Railroad
  1881 - 1883
[Source - No. 1, Index 5519]
The last production was reported in 1883
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 23, NW SW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 105 to 117 feet with an average coal seam of 2 to 3½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2   Fred Schultz   circa 1877
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2   Braceville Coal Company
Owned by Chicago, Milwaukee &
St. Paul Railroad
  pre 1881 - 1883
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2   Chicago, Milwaukee &
St. Paul Railroad
  1883 - 1891
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2   Braceville Coal Company   1891 - 1892
Braceville Coal Mine No. 2   Chicago, Milwaukee &
St. Paul Railroad
  1892 - 1894
[Source - No. 1, Index 2353]
      According to the History of Grundy County (1914), Fred Schultz sank the shaft and operated the mine for a short time before selling to Braceville Coal Company (which was owned by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad).
      The shaft was not shown on the 1874 Atlas of Grundy County.
 
The last production was reported on March 3, 1894
 
1884 Annual Coal Report 3
      A fan has been built at No. 2 which is exhausting 27,000 cubic feet of air per minute. The air-ways have been increased from 12 to 36 feet, sectional area, and greater care is taken of the roadways. Safety catches have been placed on all their cages, and fences at the mouth of the shaft.
 
1885 Annual Coal Report 4
Braceville Mines.
      At the Braceville mines, which are the largest and most important in this county, I found that various improvements had been made since the last report. At shaft No. 2 the roadways have been repaired, and the use of powder has been abandoned, which renders the air clearer and purer. Considering the obstacles that have been overcome, this mine is in very good condition.
 
1894 Annual Coal Report 8
Abandoned Mines
      The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Coal Coal Company abandoned its No. 2 mine at Braceville, March 3, 1894.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 3
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 23, NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 100 to 118 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 6½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Braceville Coal Mine No. 3   Braceville Coal Company   1881 - 1883
Braceville Coal Mine No. 3   Chicago, Millwaukee, &
St. Paul Railroad
  1883 - 1886
Idle Coal Mine No. 3   Idle   1887
Braceville Coal Mine No. 3   Chicago, Millwaukee, &
St. Paul Railroad
  1888 - 1891
Braceville Coal Mine No. 3   Braceville Coal Company   1891
[Source - No. 1, Index 2356]
The last production was reported September 3, 1891
 
1884 Annual Coal Report 3
      At No. 3, an escape shaft has been completed and equipped, according to law; the main air-ways have been enlarged from a sectional area of 11 feet to 36 feet; a fan has been placed in position forcing into the mine 32,000 cubic feet of air per minute, as against 6,000 feet last November, and the roadways have been considerably improved, though not as much as they ought to be and will be in the near future.
 
1887 Annual Coal Report 5
      In Grundy county, the No. 3 mine at Braceville has done nothing during the year.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 4
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 24, NE NW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 103 to 110 feet with an average coal seam of 3.17 to 3½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Braceville Coal Mine No. 4   Chicago, Millwaukee, &
St. Paul Coal Company
  1892 - 1894
Braceville Coal Mine No. 4   Braceville Coal Company   1894 - 1895
Braceville Coal Mine No. 4   Chicago, Millwaukee, &
St. Paul Coal Company
  1895 - 1896
Braceville Coal Mine No. 4   Braceville Coal Company   1896 - 1900
[Source - No. 1, Index 2355]
The last production was reported in 1900.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report 7
New Mines
      The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Coal Co.'s No. 4 mine, located about one mile north of of the village of Braceville.
 
1900 Annual Coal Report 14
Abandoned Mines.
      The Braceville Coal Co. has abandoned its No. 4 mine, near Braceville, Grundy county.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 5
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 13, NE SW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 101 to 103 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3.17 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Braceville Coal Mine No. 5   Braceville Coal Company   1900 - 1907
[Source - No. 1, Index 2351]
The last production was reported in 1907.
 
1901 Annual Coal Report 15
New Mines
      The Braceville Coal Company has opened a new mine, two miles north of Braceville, moving all the machinery from No. 4 to the No. 5 mine; it is now in full operation.
 
1908 Annual Coal Report 22
Abandoned Mines.
      The Braceville Coal Company has abandoned its No. 5 mine near Braceville, Grundy county.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Braceville Coal Mine No. 6
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 14, NW NW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 112 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3¼ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Braceville Coal Mine No. 6   Braceville Coal Company   1903 - 1910
[Source - No. 1, Index 2352]
The last production was reported in 1910.
 
1903 Annual Coal Report 17
Prospective Mines.
      The Braceville Coal Co. is sinking a new shaft half a mile west of its No. 5 mine, Braceville, Grundy county.
 
1911 Annual Coal Report 25
Abandoned Mines. - Grundy County
      Braceville Coal Co., No. 6, Braceville.

Buck Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, SW SW NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 20 to 38 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Buck Coal Mine   John Buck   1878 - 1891
[Source - No. 1, Index 2364]
The last production was reported in 1891.

Burrell & Telfer Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, NE SW NW
An Underground Mine at a depth of 40 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Burrell & Telfer Coal Mine   H. Burrell & W. Telfer   1881 - 1882 / 1884
[Source - No. 1, Index 2367]
The last production was reported in 1884.
The mine was abandoned in 1884 because of an unsafe boiler and other machinery would have required imprudent investment.

Burt Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, SW NW NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 20 to 40 feet with an average coal seam of 2 to 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Burt Coal Mine   George Burt   1892 - 1897
[Source - No. 1, Index 2366]
The last production was reported in 1897.
 
1897 Annual Coal Report 11
Abandoned Mines - Grundy County
      George Burt has abandoned his mine at Morris.

Chicago Fireproofing Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, SE NW SW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 40 to 45 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
 Production and years of operation prior to July 1878 are unknown
Burrell Coal Mine   H. Burrell & Company   1878 - 1879
 Ownership & production are unknown from July 1879 to June 1881.
Goold, Buchanan & Burrell Coal Mine   Goold, Buchanan & Burrell   1881 - 1882
Burrell Coal Mine   Henry Burrell & Company   1882 - 1886
Chicago Fireproofing Coal Mine   Chicago Fireproofing Company   1886 - 1890
[Source - No. 1, Index 2361]
The last production was reported in 1890.

Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 4, SW NE SE
An Underground Mine at a depth of 160 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Congson & Odell Coal Mine   James Congson &
William Odell
  1863 - 1864
Odell Coal Mine   William Odell   1864 - 1865
Steel & Kerr Coal Mine   William Steel &
Thomas Kerr
  1865 - circa 1866
Kerr, Steel & Wells Coal Mine   Thomas Kerr &
William Steel &
D. G. Wells
  circa 1866 - 1867
Stiles Coal Mine   Aaron K. Stiles   1867 - 1872
Gardner Coal Mine   Gardner Coal Company   1872 - circa 1873
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  circa 1873 - 1874
[Source - No. 1, Index 7029]
      Congson & Odell leased this mine in December 1863, and abandoned the shaft in January 1864 when the sides caved from hitting water at 60 feet. The mine reopened in the fall of 1864 when Congson sold out to Odell.
      A cooperative coal company was said to have leased the mine after Chicago,Wilmington & Vermilion, but closed it shortly thereafter, so there may have not been any production under thatownership. This mine was likely small in size as there is no mine dump visible on topographic maps.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine K
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 24, NW SE SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 90 to 107 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Unknown   maybe : Baird & Hickox   circa 1881
  According to an article in the Chicago Tribune,1881,
Baird & Hickox operated this mine around the time or the article.
C Coal Mine   Wilmington & Springfield Coal Company   1881 - 1886
K Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1886 - 1888
[Source - No. 1, Index 2354]
The last production was reported in 1888.
 
1887 Annual Coal Report 5
      The C. W. & V. Coal Company has bought out the Wilmington and Springfield Company and trebled its capacity ; they have fitted up larger ventilating machinery, and put a great deal of expense on the roadway.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine O
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 12, NW SE NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 103 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
O Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1890 - 1895
[Source - No. 1, Index 2335]
One listing showed this as Chicago, Milwaukee & Vermilion Coal Company -- "O" Coal Mine
The last production was reported in 1895.
 
1890 Annual Coal Report 6 New Mines put n Operation during the year.
      In Grundy county, the Chicago, Wilmington and Vermilion Coal Co. has sunk and is developing a new shaft, named the "O."
 
The 1891 Coal Report stated that construction had begun on an escapement shaft.
 
1894 Annual Coal Report 8
Abandoned Mines
      At Braidwood, the Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company has abandoned for the present, April 1, 1894, its "O" shaft.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine P
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 12, NW SW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 115 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
P Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1891 - 1897
[Source - No. 1, Index 2348]

The last production was reported in 1897.
 
1897 Annual Coal Report 11
Abandoned Mines - Grundy County
      The C. W. & V. Coal Co. has abandoned its "P" shaft at Braidwood.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine Q
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Braidwood
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 80 to 87 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Q Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1894 - 1896
[Source - No. 1]
The Coal Reports indicated that the mine was abandoned because of the expense of timbering and pumping water out of the mine. This implies poor roof conditions.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine R
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 13, NW SW NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 112 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
R Coal Mine   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1896 - 1899
[Source - No. 1, Index 2350]

The mine had water problems when it opened. These problems were expected to decrease as the mine was developed, but the short operating period (three years) indicates that water may have been a factor in its closing.
The last production was reported in 1899.
 
1896 Annual Coal Report 10
New Mines
      The Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company has sunk a new shaft near Braidwood. The shaft is 99 feet deep and is quipped in a substantial manner. The seam is 3 feet thick with a good fire-clay mining. The mine is at present roubled with a good deal of water, but is expected that this will become less as the mine is developed.
 
1899 Annual Coal Report 13
Abandoned Mines.
      The Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Co., has abandoned its "R" shaft near Braidwood, Grundy county.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 14, SE SE NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 187 to 190 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
S Coal Mine No. 1   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1899 - 1900
C., W. & V. Coal Mine No. 1   Chicago, Wilmington &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1900 - 1914
[Source - No. 1, Index 7]
1899 Annual Coal Report 13
New Mines - Grundy County
      The Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Co. has opened a new mine in Grundy county, three and a half miles from Gardner. A town site has been located, which will bear the name of South Wilmington. About twenty houses have been built and many others are in course of construction. The shaft is 189 feet to the coal; which is No. 2 of the geological section; a new steel tower has been erected; the engine and boiler houses are covered with galvanized corrugated iron; a shaker screen has been put in, and the plant is in every way first class and intended for a large output.
 
1900 Annual Coal Report 14
Mine Fires
      The fan house of the C. W. & V. Coal Co., at South Wilmington, Grundy county, was destroyed by fire Oct. 22, 1899, about 11 o'clock p. m. How the fire originated is not known, as no one but the night engineer was around the top at the time. There were eight men in the shaft, but all got out safely. Six mules in the mine were suffocated.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago, Wilmington, & Vermilion Coal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 11, NW SW SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 180 feet with an average coal seam of 3¼ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
S Coal Mine No. 2   Chicago, Wilmington, &
Vermilion Coal Company
  1901 - 1910
[Source - No. 1, Index 260]
1911 Annual Coal Report 25
Abandoned Mines. - Grundy County
      Chicago, Wilmington and Vermilion Coal Co., No. 2, South Wilmington.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
1909 Annual Coal Report 23
New Mines.
      C., W. & V. Coal Company has opened a new mine one mile south of its No. 1 mine, South Wilmington, Grundy county.

Clayton Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 28, NW NW SW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 50 to 65 feet with an average coal seam of 2.04 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Heather & Clayton Coal Mine   Heather & Clayton   1907 - 1908
Clayton Coal Mine   Clayton Brothers   1908 - 1913
[Source - No. 1, Index 750]
The last production was reported in 1913.
 
1914 Annual Coal Report 28
Abandoned Mines.
      Clayton Bros.

Coal City Coal Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 28, SW NW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 53 feet with an average coal seam of 2.83 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Coal City Coal Mine No. 1   Coal City Coal Company   1937 - 1941
[Source - No. 1, Index 2376]
The mine changed ownership in 1940, but continued to report under the same name.
This mine may have also been known as the Monbrum Mine.
 
The last production was reported in 1941.

Condon Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 32, NE SW SE
An Undergorund Mine at a depth of 89 feet with an average coal seam of 2¾ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Condon Coal Mine No. 1   Robert Condon   1932 - 1936
[Source - No. 1, Index 2389]
The last production was reported in 1936.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 20, NW SE NW
An Undergorund Mine at a depth of 74 feet with an average coal seam of 2¼ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Condon Coal Mine No. 2   Robert Condon   1936 - 1943
[Source - No. 1, Index 5522]
The last production was reported in 1943.

Corcoran Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County -
The location of this mine is not known. The mine's address was Morris and the mine was 1 mile east of Morris.
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 30 feet with an average coal seam of 2¾ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Corcoran Coal Mine   Corcoran Brothers   1901 - 1902
[Source - No. 1, Index 5416]
The last production was reported in 1902.
 
1901 Annual Coal Report 15
Prospective Mines
      Corcoran Bros., of Morris, Grundy county, have sunk a shaft one mile east of Morris; the shaft is 30 feet to the top of the coal, the coal is 2 feet 9 inches thick; it will be opened out on the long wall system.
 
1902 Annual Coal Report 16
New Mines
      Corcoran Bros. have sunk a new mine near Morris, Grundy county.
 
1903 Annual Coal Report 17
Abandoned Mines
      Corcoran Bros., have abandoned their mine near Morris, Grundy county.

Cotton Shaft - Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 25, NE SW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 98 feet.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Cotton Shaft - Coal Mine   Nicholas Cotton   circa 1864
[Source - No. 1, Index 6671]
      According to History of Grundy County (1914), this was the first shaft sunk at Braceville but it only operated for a short time. In Miners of the Prairie, a cooperative shaft was said to have been sunk in 1858 at the present site of Braceville, which may indicate this mine. In Grundy County Sesquitennial, Nicholas Cotton was said to have donated land to the village for Cotton Cemetery. The road along the mine was also said to have been called "Smokey Row" because of the row of "black, unpainted, one-story houses" there.

Crichton Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Braidwood
A Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 50 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Crichton Coal Mine   Robert Crichton & Company   1896 - 1898
[Source - No. 1 ]

Cronin Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 62 to 63 feet with an average coal seam of 2¾ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Cronin Coal Mine   Cronin Brothers   1881 - 1883
[Source - No. 1, Index 5454]

Cryer Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 62 to 75 feet with an average coal seam of 2.33 to 2.83 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Kay Coal Mine No. 3   Harry Kay   1897 - 1900
Cryer Coal Mine   John H. Cryer   1900 - 1909
[Source - No. 1, Index 2093]
The last production was reported in 1909.
 
1898 Annual Coal Report 12
Abandoned Mines - Grundy County
      Harry Kay has abandoned his mine near Morris, and opened a new one about four miles north of Morris.
 
1901 Annual Coal Report 15
New Mines
      J. H. Cryer has purchased the mine formerly operated by Harry Kay, near Morris, Grundy county; this is a new mine.
 
1910 Annual Coal Report 24
Abandoned Mines.
      J. H. Cryer has abandoned his mine near Morris, Grundy county.

Cummings Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 25 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Cummings Coal Mine   James Cummings   1884 - 1885
[Source - No. 1, Index 5440]

Davidson Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 35, SW
An Underground Mine at a depth of 30 feet with an average coal seam of 2.33 to 2.83 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Davidson Coal Mine   Max Davidson & Sons   1904 - 1906
[Source - No. 1, Index 5136]
The last production was reported in 1906.
 
1905 Annual Coal Report 19
New Mines
      Max Davis & Sons have opened out a new mine near Morris, Grundy county.
 
1907 Annual Coal Report 21
page 165 Abandoned Mines.
      The following mines have been abandoned in Grundy county - Max Davidson & Son's mine near Morris.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 35, SE
An Underground Mine at a depth of 33 feet with an average coal seam of 2.83 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Davidson Coal Mine   Max Davidson & Son   1908 - 1910
[Source - No. 1, Index 5427]
The last production was reported in 1910.
 
1909 Annual Coal Report 23
New Mines.
      Max Davidson and Son have opened their mine east of Morris, Grundy county.
 
1911 Annual Coal Report 25
Abandoned Mines. - Grundy County
      Max Davidison & Son, Morris.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 35, NE NE SW
The location was described in field notes as "halfway between the road and the railroad tracks".
A Strip Mine.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Davidson Coal Mine   Max Davidson & Sons   1918 - 1921
[Source - No. 1, Index 2046]
The last production was reported in 1921.

Diamond Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Diamond Coal Mine No. 1
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 1, NE NE NE
An Underground Mine at a depth of 84 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Diamond Coal Mine No. 1   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  1881 - 1883
[Source - No. 1, Index 5941]
The last production was reported in 1883.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Diamond Coal Mine No. 2
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 9 East, Section 31, NW SW SW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 54 feet with an average coal seam of 2.87 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Diamond Coal Mine No. 2   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  prior to and up to 1883
[Source - No. 1, Index 2342]

This mine was the site of the Braidwood disaster, where 69 men drowned in February 1883.
The mine was shallow, and the mine had had trouble with water accumulating in the workings previously.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Diamond Coal Mine No. 3
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 1, NW NE SE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 103 to 106 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Diamond Coal Mine No. 3   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  1875 - 1892
[Source - No. 1, Index 2341]
The last production was reported in 1892.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report 7
Abandoned Mines and Mines Not in Operation During the Year.
      The Wilmington Mining and Manufacturing Coal Co. abandoned its No. 3 mine permanently, after closing it down for four months.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Diamond Coal Mine No. 4
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 1, SE NW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 116 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Diamond Coal Mine No. 4   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  1891 - 1906
[Source - No. 1, Index 3556]
Two deaths were caused by roof falls (in 1898 and 1900). One of these roof falls was an upwards-sloping slip in the roof.
The last production was reported in 1906.
 
1890 Annual Coal Report 6
New Mines, and Mines not in Operation During the Year.
      The Wilmington Mining and Manufcturing Co. has commenced operations on the new No. 4 mine at Diamond.
 
1907 Annual Coal Report 21
Abandoned Mines.
      The following mines have been abandoned in Grundy county - the Wilmington Coal Mining and Manufacturing Company's No. 4 mine at Diamond.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Klondyke Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East, Section 36, SW NE SW
An Underground Mine.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Klondyke Coal Mine   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  prior to 1881
[Source - No. 1, Index 5516]
The company name has been assumed based on other mining in the area. This mine appears to connect underground to Diamond No. 4 Mine; and the years have been assumed
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
Diamond Coal Mine No. 5
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 12, NE NW NW
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 110 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Diamond Coal Mine No. 5   Wilmington Coal Mining
& Manufacturing Company
  1900 - 1905
[Source - No. 1, Index 4973]
The last production was reported in 1905.
 
1900 Annual Coal Report 14
Prospective Mines.
      The Wilmington Coal Mining & Manufacturing Co. has sunk a new shaft, one mile south of its No. 4 mine, at Diamond, Grundy county.
 
1901 Annual Coal Report 15
New Mines
      The Wilmington Coal Mining and Manufacturing Company, Diamond, Grundy county, has put in operation during the year, a new mine one mile south of its No. 4 mine, it is known as No. 5. This plant is first class in every particular, the hoisting engines are 14 x 30, first motion; steam is supplied by three new boilers, 60 inches by 28 feet long, a new fan has been erected, 7 x 14 feet; all the buildings are covered with corrugated iron, and are made as near fire proof as possible.
 
1906 Annual Coal Report 20
Abandoned Mines
      The Wilmington Coal Mining and Manufacturing Co. has abandoned its No. 5 mine at Diamond, Grundy County.
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
1901 Annual Coal Report 15
Prospective Mines
      The Wilmington Coal Mining & Manufacturing Company has sunk a prospecting shaft one mile east of Braceville; the coal was found at the depth of 91 feet; thickness of coal three feet; the company has purchased 640 acres of coal land at this place, and will sink two new shafts in the near future.

Enbody Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
A Strip (Surface) Mine
Mine Name Operated By Years
Enbody Coal Mine   Enbody Coal Company   1936
[Source - No. 1]

Erickson Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 36 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Erickson Coal Mine   John Erickson   1882 - 1883
[Source - No. 1, Index 5450]
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 35 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Erickson Coal Mine   Thomas Erickson   1885 - 1886
[Source - No. 1, Index 6740]

Espley & Handwerk Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 5, SW SE SW
An Underground Mine at a depth of 50 to 66 feet with an average coal seam of 2.33 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Espley Coal Mine   J. Espley & Company   1893 - 1902
Espley & Handwerk Coal Mine   Espley & Handwerk   1902 - 1904
[Source - No. 1, Index 2369]
The last production was reported in 1904.
 
1893 Annual Coal Report 7
Prospective Mines
      At Morris, Esley & Co. have put down a shaft for local trade only.

Euchre Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 8 East, Section 34, NW SW SE
An Underground Mine at a depth of 140 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Euchre Coal Mine   Unknown   circa 1872 - 1875
[Source - No. 1, Index 2358]

Eureka Coal Mine No. 4
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 32 North, Range 8 East, Section 12, NW SW SW
An Underground Mine at a depth of 127 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Eureka Coal Mine No. 4   Eureka Coal Company   1883 - 1887
[Source - No. 1, Index 2349]
The last production was reported in 1887.
 
1887 Annual Coal Report 5
      In Grundy county the Eureka Coal Company has abandoned its shaft and gone out of the coal business.

Ferguson Coal Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 32 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Ferguson Coal Mine   William Ferguson   1884 - 1885
[Source - No. 1, Index 5444]
- - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -       - - - - -
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County -
An Underground Mine.
The location of this mine is not known. The mine's address was Morris, but mining occurred north and south of the town.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Clayton, Ferguson & Gainty Coal Mine   Clayton, Ferguson & Gainty   1923 - 1925
Ferguson Coal Mine   Thomas A. Ferguson   1926 - 1930
[Source - No. 1, Index 5020]
The last production was reported in 1930.

Foley Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County -
The location of this mine is not known. The mine's address was Morris, but mining occurred north and south of the town.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Foley Coal Mine   C. Foley   1925
[Source - No. 1, Index 5060]
The last production was reported in 1925.

Galo Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 8 East
This mine was said to be at Carbon Hill, but no other location information was found.
An Underground Mine at a depth of 45 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Galo Coal Mine   Dominick Galo   1894 - 1895
[Source - No. 1, Index 5426]
The last production was reported in 1895.

Gardner-Wilmington Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 10, NW NE SE
An Underground Mine at a depth of 180 to 210 feet with an average coal seam of 3 to 3.17 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Williams Coal Mine   Taylor Williams   1882 - 1889
Gardner-Wilmington Coal Mine   Gardner-Wilmington
Coal Company
  1889 - 1895
Gardner-Wilmington Coal Mine   Whitebreast Fuel Company   1896 - 1899
[Source - No. 1, Index 2336]
Operated by Whitebreast Fuel Company after 1895, but continued to report under the same name.
The last production was reported in 1899.

Garrity Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 48 to 60 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Thurston Coal Mine   Lars Thurston   1884 - 1890
Thurston Coal Mine   Thomas L. Thurston   1890 - 1894
Garrity Coal Mine   Thomas Garrity   1894 - 1895
[Source - No. 1, Index 5434]

George Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 34 North, Range 7 East, Section 35, SW NW NE
An Undergorund Mine at a depth of 35 to 50 feet with an average coal seam of 2 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
George Coal Mine   William George   1874 - 1885
[Source - No. 1, Index 5448]
This mine was idle in 1884.
The last production was reported in 1885.

Goode Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 40 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Goode Coal Mine   Goode Brothers   1891 - 1892
[Source - No. 1]

Goold Ridge Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 33 North, Range 7 East, Section 4, SW SE NW
An Undergorund Mine at a depth of 40 to 60 feet with an average coal seam of 2.67 to 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
 Production and years of operation prior to July 1878 are unknown
Goold Ridge Coal Mine   Goold Ridge Coal Company   1878 - 1884
[Source - No. 1, Index 2362]
      This mine started with the room and pillar method of mining, but found it impractical and switched to the longwall method before 1884.
      The last production was reported in 1884.
 
1885 Annual Coal Report 4
      The Gooldridge Coal Company at Morris have abandoned their mine at that place.

Goose Lake Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Coal City or Carbon Hill
An Underground Mine.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Goose Lake Coal Mine   Goose Lake Coal Company   1934 - 1936
[Source - No. 1]

Gorich Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 50 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Gorich Coal Mine   J. Gorich   1878 - 1879
[Source - No. 1, Index 5452]

Grand Prairie Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Township 31 North, Range 8 East, Section 25, NE NW NE
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 100 feet with an average coal seam of 3½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
The mine notes indicate the shaft was constructed in the 1880s and there may be production before 1935
Clark City Coal Mine   Clark City Coal Company   1935 - 1937
Savage Coal Mine   J. L. Savage   1937
Clark City Coal Mine No. 1   Clark City - Wilmington
Coal Company
  1938 - 1939
Clark City Coal Mine   Clark City Coal Company   1939
Grand Prairie Coal Mine   Grand Prairie Mining Company   1939 - 1940
Morgan & Savage Coal Mine   Morgan & Savage   1941
Grand Prairie Coal Mine   Grand Prairie Mining Company   1942
[Source - No. 1, Index 652]
The last production was reported in 1942.

Griffith & Wren Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County -
The mine's address was Morris, but mining occurred north and south of the town.
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 24 feet with an average coal seam of 2½ feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Griffith & Wren Coal Mine   Griffith & Wren   1894 - 1900
[Source - No. 1, Index 5429]
The last production was reported in 1900.
 
1897 Annual Coal Report 11
Abandoned Mines - Grundy County
      Griffen & Wren abandoned their mine near Morris and have opened a new mine a mile and a half north of Morris.

Gorich Coal Mine
The legal description lists this as :    Grundy County - Morris
An Underground Shaft Mine at a depth of 50 feet with an average coal seam of 3 feet in thickness.
Mine Name Operated By Years
Gorich Coal Mine   J. Gorich   1878 - 1879
[Source - No. 1, Index 5452]

Grundy County, Illinois Coal Mines H through Z
 
Coal in Grundy County 1883 Diamond Coal Mine Disaster Fatalities Sources

Coal & Coal Mining in Illinois
email graphic

Site Meter

© 2012 - 2015    Wayne Hinton