Wayne's World of History and Genealogy

Home | About | Contact | Facebook logo
Gillespie Historic header
1910 - 1919
W. F. Bycroft served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-3-1909 to 5-5-1913
In 1911 - There was a Bond Issue of $8000.00 to build a City Hall, to house the City Council, the Police Department, and the Fire Department.
Bert Rice served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-5-1913 to 5-6-1915
On December 18, 1914 The Miners' Co-Operative Store in Gillespie held its formal opening.
On March 15, 1915 The Gillespie Library was started as "Reading Room" by the P. E. O. and the Woman's Club.
A. H. Behrens served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-6-1915 to 5-10-1917
In 1916 Gillespie began paving streets.
A. J. Hackney served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-10-1917 to 5-18-1919
William E. Brown served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-18-1919 to 5-7-1923
In 1919 The Gillespie High School was built.
and The "Little Dog Coal Company" was began by Sam Westwood and was known as "Gillespie Coal Company"

- - - - -

Gillespie in newspaper Articles
- - - - -
The Weekly Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois
Volume 64, Number 18
Friday Morning, May 6, 1910, Page 10
- - - - -

Attorney Masters, for State, Accused of Coaching a Witness.
- - - - -
      Havana, Ill., May 5. --(Special.)-- An open charge by the attorneys for the defense that H. W. Masters, an attorney who is interested in the prosecution, had entered the grand jury room in which the witnesses who are waiting to be called into the court loom to give their testimony, had called one of the witnesses for the state to one side and informed, her that he wanted to "coach", her, stirred up quite an exciting time in the trial of Dr Pascal Bowman today. The defense brought forward several witnesses to substantiate the charge and the move was respited by Mr. Masters, who claimed that the attack, if persisted in, would compel him to go upon the stand as a witness, which, considering the fact that he is interested in the case now on trial, would be very embarrassing. The witness who is alleged to have been so "coached" is Mrs. John Cooper of Easton, who testified that she had overheard the telephone conversation between Dr. Bowman and the nurse, Miss Purdy, on the evening following the operation on the breast of Martha Dobson. The witness repeated what purported to be the exact language of the parties and had not the facts of her having been approached by the attorney for the state been brought out in the manner above stated, her evidence would have been a strong link in the chain established by the prosecution. Among those who testified to having overheard the opening remarks of the lawyer were Rev. G. A. Edwards, Mrs. Ray McCarskrin, and H. C. Stewart, all residents of Gillespie, Ill. The attack led to a personal argument between Joseph Well and Mr. Masters, which had to be quelled by the court.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Weekly Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois
Volume 64, Number 30
Friday Morning, July 29, 1910, Page 6
- - - - -

- - - - -
Had Lived In Leroy Many Years
- - - - -
      William Jones died at his home in Leroy Tuesday afternoon after a lingering illness from stomach trouble. Mr. Jones was born in Liverpool, England, September 20, 1836, and came to this country with his parents to Springfield, O., in 1844. He was married to Elizabeth Johnson, of Decatur, Ill., who died in1903. To this union was born five children. Mrs. David Crumbaugh, of Bloomington;Dr. J. F. Jones, of Beardstown;Charles D., of Leroy; Ada L., who died in infancy, and Mrs. Edith Search, who resides with her father. Mr. Jones was one of the pioneer settlers of Leroy, being a resident there since the year 1862 with the exception of two years when he resided in Gillespie, Ill. He was a machinist by trade, being an active and energetic business man of Leroy during his residence there until a few years ago he retired from business owing to ill health and advancing years. He was always active in any enterprise which was a benefit to his home town. He served thirty-two years as director in one of the most successful building and loan association ever operated in the community. He served as alderman many years. He was a member of A. F. and A. M. lodge No. 221, never failing in his duty to assist a brother in sickness or distress.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The St. Anne Record, St. Anne, Illinois
Volume 21, Number 12
Friday, August 5, 1910, Page 7
      Carlinville. -- Rev. Charles A. Eaton of Wisconsin has been appointed rector of St. Paul's Episcopal church in this city by Bishop Osborne of Springfield. Rev. Mr. Eaton also will have charge of the Gillespie parish. He will move his family to Carlinville in the near future. Rev. Mr. Eaton occupied the pulpit of the church here for the first time.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Republican-Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Number 83
Thursday, September 15, 1910, Page 8
      Carlinville -- Henry Hans, an old German citizen of Gillespie, intended to take a drink of whisky on Monday, and instead swallowed some carbolic acid. He used the acid in a medicinal bath for a sore foot.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 59 Number 303
Wednesday, October 5, 1910, Pages 1 & 6
- - - - -

Regular Train Collides With Excursion Car at Bottom of Hill and at the Point of a Sharp Curve
- - - - -
- - - - -
Disregarding of Orders by Crew, Who Took Car on Main Line Before Second Section Had Passed Cause of the Wreck -- Two Arrested.
- - - - -
      Staunton, Ill., Oct. 5. Motorman Lierman and Conductor Leonard, in charge of train No. 14 were arrested at their homes this morning , taken to Carlinville and held for the coroner's inquest. The. company's officials accuse them of overrunning the point of meeting the other train.
      Conductor Wilconson, in charge of the first relief train to reach the scene of the wreck said today:
      "It was awful. I saw legs, arms, heads and bodies protruding from every conceivable place. People in the wreckage were crying and while we did all we could to rescue them, some were crushed between the floors of the cars and wedged in so tightly we could not rescue them until we got jack screws and lifted the car."
      The majority of those killed were men in the smoking compartments and women reading in the front seats of the two cars.
Authorities Investigating.
      Staunton, Ill., Oct. 5. -- Both the coroner of Macoupin county and the railroad and warehouse commissioner are today endeavoring to place responsibility for the disaster which snuffed out 30 lives and injured 31 others at the Dickerson curve, two miles and a half north of here late yesterday afternoon.
Motorman Missing
      That Motorman Lierman, of local No. 14, north bound, ran wild despite orders to meet the limited second section of No. 73, south bound, at Wall, is the charge made by Dispatcher Tebbs of Staunton. The police are searching for Lierman.
      The task of removing the debris consumed the greater part of the night.
Another Identified.
      The body of one unidentified woman is now known to be that of Mrs. B. F. Redshaw of Curran, Ill.
The identified dead at Carlinville follow:
      J. R. HABEGGER, Jamestown, Ill., merchant.
      C. WERNER. Champaign.
      HERMAN BAUER, St. Louis, carpenter.
      E. BLACK, assistant superintendent. Springfield.
      T. J. KIRWIT, representing a glass company of St. Louis.
      MANUEL A. INDERMILL, Baden, III., insurance agent.
      DR. H. C. GALLOWAY, Decatur, Ill.
      J. G. SCHAEFFER. St. Louis.
      MRS. WILLIAM McLOUD. Benld.
      S. C. HILL, Princeton, Ind.
      JOHN BLOCTNA, Benld. teamster.
      MRS. JOHN BLOCTNA, Benld.
      DR. B. F. DENSHAW.
      _______ CURRAN.
      H. B. ROBINSON, Benld.
      MRS. H. B. ROBINSON, Benld.
      E. M. ROSE, Chicago, collector.
      A. S. STREEK, division superintendent Illinois. Traction company, Staunton.
      A. PRICE, auditor of the disbursements of the traction company, Champaign.
      J. W. MILLER. Gillespie, general superintendent of the Superior Coal company.
      Nine unidentified women.
      One unidentified man.
      EDWARD C. HILL, Belleville, Ill
      FRANK RUBLE. O'Fallon, Ill.
      MRS. F. W. REED, Peoria, Ill.
      MISS B. SWAMDEN, Springfield, Ill.
      Three women and three men, unidentified.
      John Berry, Springfield, a land commissioner for the road, died on the way to the hospital here. An unidentified man is dying at the hospital. He had a card in his pocket bearing the name Erwin F. Eckerle, Bellevue, III.
      The others are at the hospital in Granite City.
List of the Injured.
Following is a list of the injured:
      V. T. McCall, Gillespie.
      James Scott, Sawyerville.
      N. Judge, Litchfield.
      E. J. Young, Staunton.
      William Curie, Springfield.
      Edith Landswith, Hlllsboro.
      Hazel Sinnlger, Springfield.
      Mrs. J. R. Agee, Springfield, badly hurt.
      George Miller, Troy, Ill.
      Mary Dosner, Nilwood, Ill.
      Sam O'Farrant. Brooklyn, N. Y., right arm broken, and cuts; chest crushed.
      C. W. McGhee, . Shawneetown, Ill.; head badly cut and back Injured.
      Guy Smith, Shawneetown; not serious.
      John Hobe, Trenton; head and face crushed and back injured.
      Joseph Clark, Benld; bruised.
      Mrs. L. E. Cordum, Gillespie; chest crushed, legs and back injured
      C. B. Clifton, Staunton; not serious.
      C. F. Mehl, traction company employe; not serious.
      George Ochler, Staunton,
      James Park, Staunton.
      Henry Sauk, Bellevue, Ill.
      W. V. Duncan of Springfield, Ill.; conductor of the southbound car.
      Burt Edwards, Mount Olive, Ill.; may die.
      Julius Engellman and wife, O'Fallon, Ill.
      Miss Lena Harney, East St. Louis, III.
      Charles F. Miller, Sparta, Ill.
      L. Y. Raine. Carlinville, Ill.
      Edward White, Decatur, III.
Victims on Excursion
      Staunton, Ill., Oct. 5. -- Thirty-seven persons were killed and from 16 to 25 injured in a collision on the Illinois Traction system two miles north of here late yesterday afternoon. Three of the injured and possibly more are not expected to survive.
      The collision occurred between local train No. 14, northbound, and excursion train No. 73, headed toward St. Louis and loaded with passengers on their way to view the parade of veiled prophets at St. Louis. The accident, according to present information, was due to the disregard of orders by the crew of No. 14, which was in charge of M. A. Leonard, conductor, and John Lierman, Staunton, motorman.
Orders Disregarded.
      No. 14 had orders to pass train No. 73 at Staunton. The latter train was running in two sections. Orders were given No. 14 that it should pass both sections of the southbound train at Staunton. The first section of No. 73 had passed when the crew of No. 14 pulled out on the main track, heedless of the second section, and started north. At a sharp turn called Dickerson's curve, two miles north of here, the two trains came together with a splintering crash.
       The curve is a sharp bend in the road and is the bottom a decline both from the north and south. No. 14 and the second section of No. 73 were both on the down grade going 40 miles an hour when they met.
At Bottom of Incline.
      The collision occurred at the bottom of a double incline and at the sharpest part of the curve. The crew of No. 14 and the crew of No. 73, which were composed of W. V. Duncan, conductor, and E. J. Young, both of Springfield, leaped when they saw that a collision was inevitable. All four men escaped serious injury. They were able to lend assistance an instant later. None of the passengers had a chance, as the crash between the cars followed immediately after the cries of warning issued by the conductors and motormen. The cars, in the terrific crash, were both entirely demolished, being piled in a huge mass of wreckage, through which the dead and wounded were scattered.
Telephone to Springfield.
      As quickly as possible word of the accident was telephoned to Springfield. A special car was rushed from there. Other cars were sent north from Granite City. These last took many injured back to the Granite City hospitals.
       As the dead were extricated they were placed upon cars sent from Springfield. One car containing 28 bodies were sent to Carlinville to the undertaking establishments.
       General Manager Chubhuck of the traction company was in Peoria when news of the wreck was received. Accompanied by some minor officials, he started for the scene of the wreck. Shortly after leaving Peoria he received word from Superintendent Halsey at Springfield that the dead would number 37 and the injured 16.
Physicians Rushed to Scene.
      At Springfield, which he reached at 9 o'clock, all available physicians were placed upon a train and hurried to Staunton. Within a few minutes after the collision the farmers of the surrounding country and practically every man in the village of Staunton were on their way to the scene of the accident to render assistance. The early comers were greeted with an awful spectacle. The two cars were not only telescoped, but were battered out of all semblance of cars. They were simply a mass of splintered wood and iron and steel eight feet high. In this pile, dead and wounded were lying in every conceivable position. Some of the bodies were actually torn apart and streams of blood flowed down the debris in a dozen places. The rescuers at Staunton worked with desperate haste. In a short time they had taken out all of the living and most of the dead.
Was Iowa Mine Inspector
      Des Moines, Oct. 5. -- James W. Miller of Gillespie, Ill., one of the victims of the wreck near Staunton, Ill., was for nine years an Iowa state mine inspector. Miller was well known in political and labor circles in Iowa.
- - - - -
Staunton Star-Times, Staunton, Illinois
October 7, 1910
Courtesy of Cindy Leonard
Wreck of the I.T.S
       Appalling Disaster That Put The Spark of Life Out of 37 Souls in a Second
I T S Wreck of 1910
      Coroner D.H. Karnes and a jury composed of Fred Johnson, foreman; George Denby, George Arnett, L. E. Ross, P. W. Kessinger and W. P. Dunn, all of Carlinville, have been busy for the past two or three days in fixing the responsibility for a wreck which caused the death of the list of persons named above, besides injuring twenty-four other persons, more or less seriously and in some instances probably fatally. Staunton has been busy the past few days - not with looking after the State Fair or the Veiled Prophet's pageants, but in looking after the welfare for the injured and the disposition of the bodies of the deceased in one of the most frightful wrecks known in history. All interest in aeroplane flights, in matter of breaking motorcar, pacing or trotting records has been forgotten and all interest centered on the discharge of duties, which most earnestly appeal to humanity.
       The coroner had just completed the holding of an inquest in the city hall Tuesday afternoon, when he was notified that there had been a serious wreck between Staunton and Benld, all the doctors of the city having been previously summoned to the scene. News was anxiously awaited and it was but a short time until people were advised that conditions were even worse than feared. A car rushed to the scene of accident brought back the body of Superintendent W. W. Street and loving hands carried him tenderly up the stairs at the station to the room that he used as his office. On the same car were the most of the injured, the most of whom were rushed without delay to the hospital at Granite City.
       On Tuesday afternoon, October 4, [1910], a day that gives Staunton a mark in history, train No. 14, car No. 358, left Staunton a few minutes late. It was in charge of Motorman John Lierman and Conductor M. D. Leonard, who relieved the crew that brought the car from East St. Louis in this city, as was their custom. They had orders to meet the second section of train No. 73, car No. 359, at Wall's siding, more commonly known as No. 14 siding. For some reason the order was disregarded and train No. 14 proceeded and met second No. 73 on the main track between Cahokia Creek bridge and Dingerson curve. The cars must have been making a high rate of speed and the impact was terrific, one car going over half way through the other. Both cars were well filled with passengers, but the most of the dead and injured were on the southbound car. Both motormen saved their lives by jumping, after shutting off power and applying air brakes to the limit of their capacity or emergency point. The scene, which followed, rests as appall upon the community and is too harrowing to describe in detail. It was the most frightful wreck in the history of the Illinois Traction System and every energy of the company is being exerted at present to prevent a recurrence of such a disaster.
       Traffic was heavy on the interurban that day. The limited cars were nearly all running in two sections. Ordinarily, the local and limited cars through the day meet at the car barn, the station known on the time card as Spring Street. On this particular run it is understood that the local met the first section of the limited at the usual meeting point, but that the local after meeting 1st No. 73 was instructed to come to the station for further orders. Here the local crews changed the a. m. men being relieved by the men who finished the day. The officials of the road attribute the entire blame to the motormen and conductor of the local car, Lierman and Leonard, both of whom are kept under surveillance by direction of the coroner.
       As much sympathy is being expressed for the accused as for the dead and injured. Members of the crew following the disaster did all in his power to alleviate the distress of the suffering and were easily to be found when officers of the law sought them. Both men are still in Carlinville. They may have erred and the evidence looks against them, but the fact remains that they have sought in no way to shirk the responsibility of their actions.
       Shortly after the wreck and about the time the car left bearing the body of Superintendent Street and the injured to this city, another relief car went north, bearing twenty-seven of the dead to Carlinville, a number of the dead were still pinned in the wreck, but were released as soon as possible and late in the night were brought to this city.
       The official staff of the Illinois Traction System was seriously crippled through the tragic death of Superintendent Street, Berry, Price and Black, but surviving members of the official staff were energetic and the official car reached here about 11 o'clock after the wreck had been cleared. The cars, locked together were brought to this city by two locomotives after the dead and injured had been removed. They now stand in the car barn yards, covered with an immense tarpaulin, to in a measure, hide evidence of a disaster that rivals the erstwhile calamities that put Ashtabula, Ohio, Chatsworth, and Litchfield, Illinois and the Tay bridge of Scotland on the map.
       For some reason known to himself Coroner Karnes did not empanel a jury until the following day, Wednesday, after he had reached his home. After viewing the remains of the dead in Carlinville, the coroner and jury came to this city and viewed the dead in the two undertaking establishments of this city, then going back to Carlinville to finish their deliberations.
       All of Tuesday evening and night the telephone and telegraph wires were kept hot, with inquiries by parties for relatives or loved ones. Occasionally some one from the interurban force would come to the waiting room or door of the station and call for some name. Frequently the party called for would respond and would be informed that some relative at a distance was making inquiry for them. They would then be asked if they were all right and if they had any message to transmit to the person inquiring. Where such inquiries were responded to everybody seemed to feel better. More frequently calls would not be responded to and inquiries for identification were sent to the morgues
       The metropolitan press was ably represented on the scene of the disaster. Representatives of the St. Louis Republic and Globe-Democrat and the Springfield Register and Journal were early on the field and covered the sad story well, each paper having a graphic account of the tragedy, embellished with realistic engravings.
       Willing hands at the scene of the wreck did everything in their power to alleviate suffering and care for the dead. Valuables were taken care of and accounted for and no ghoulish pilfering has been reported.
       The track was cleared about 11 o'clock p.m. and regular service resumed. Neither the track or overhead wiring were disturbed, a remarkable feature in so disastrous a wreck. A heavy rain the next morning washed away the crimson traces of the slaughter.
       Probably nothing in the history of the wreck is regretted so much as the death of Superintendent W. W. Street. During the few years he resided in Staunton he won the respect of all citizens, and no superior officer was ever held in higher esteem by his subordinates. He was looking after the movement of trains and contemplated a busy week. His body did not appear to be badly mutilated and death was probably due to internal hemorrhage. Observing the impending collision he used all his energy to force the passengers in the smoker into the rear of the car.
       W. W. Street, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Street, was born in Hedrick, Ia., and at the time of his death was a few days over 40 years and one month old. At the age of fifteen years he was employed in a country newspaper and with considerable pride would show friends some files of the paper he edited at that age during the absence of the editor. Later he went to Davenport, where he clerked in a store. The business he only followed a short time, then beginning his career in railroading. He was united in marriage to Miss Rilla McFarland, December 1895 in Chicago. He became acquainted with Miss McFarland some time before while she was visiting in Davenport. Mr. and Mrs. Street came from Iowa to Illinois, residing in this state about four years.
       Recently they had been making their home at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. George. Mr. Street was high up in Masonry, having passed through the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Scottish Rite Consistory. He also belonged to the Mystic Shrine of that order.
       Brief but highly impressive services were conducted from the residence of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. George Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock by the local lodge of Masons, after which the remains were sent to his former home in Davenport, Ia. The floral offerings were profuse and included some of the most beautiful and expensive designs ever seen in this city, testifying in a silent way to the high esteem in which he was held by all with whom he became acquainted. The final obsequies will be held in Davenport and the remains will be laid to rest beside those of this mother who preceded him to the grave about fifteen years. Besides his widow, he is survived by his father who lives in Davenport; four sisters, three of who reside in Hedrick, Ia., and one in Texas, and one brother who resides in Los Angeles, Cal.
       Mrs. T. D. Foose of Chicago, a sister to Mrs. Street, came to this city to be comfort to her in the most trying ordeal she has probably ever encountered.
       Other developments will likely follow the items briefly recited in this chapter, and all we can hope for is that they may be no worse.

       BAUER, Herman, St. Louis, Mo., Bridge and building department Illinois Traction System.
       BAUER, Mrs. Herman, St. Louis, wife of Herman Bauer.
       BERRY, J. E., Springfield, assistant superintendent of motive power machinery, Illinois Traction System.
       BLOTNA, Mrs. John, Benld, Ill., wife of John Blotna.
       BRUEGGE, J., St. Louis.
       BRUEGGE, Mrs. J., St. Louis.
       BUNTON, Mrs. G. L., St. Louis
       CLOUD, Mrs. William, Benld, Ill.
       GALLOWAY, Dr. H. C. (colored), Decatur, Ill.
       GALLOWAY, Mrs. H. C. (colored), Decatur, Ill.
       HABBEGGER, J. R., Jamestown, Ill., merchant.
       HENRY, S. T., Princeville, Ill.
       HENRY, Mrs. S. T., Princeville, Ill.
       HILL, S. C., Belleville, Ill.
       HILL, Mrs. S. C., Belleville, Ill.
       INDERMILL, Manuel A., Baden Baden, Ill., insurance agent.
       KANE, Mrs. C. H., Granite City.
       KIRWIN, T. J., St. Louis, salesman.
       KUENZE, Adolph, Belleville.
       McPHERSON, Miss Elizabeth, Gillespie, stenographer.
       McPHERSON, Miss Lulu M., Gillespie.
       MILLER, J. W., Gillespie, superintendent of the three mines of the Superior Coal Company.
       PRICE, A. A., Champaign, Ill., auditor of disbursements, Illinois Traction System.
       REEBEL, Frank, O'Fallon, Ill.
       REED, Mrs. F. W., Peoria, Ill.
       REDSHAW, Dr. B. F., Curran, Ill.
       REDSHAW, Mrs. B. F., Curran, Ill.
       ROSE, E. M., Chicago, solicitor Collier's Weekly.
       ROBINSON, H. B., Benld, IL., merchant.
       ROBINSON, Mrs. H. B., Benld, Ill.
       SAWYER, Miss Ella, Belleville, Ill.
       STREET, W. W., Staunton, Ill., division superintendent, Illinois Traction System.
       SINNIGER, Miss Beatrice, of Springfield, Ill.
       WERNER, A., Chapin, Ill.

       Wm. McCurlee, Springfield
       Bert Edwards, Mt. Olive
       Edith Lansford, Hillsboro
       Mrs. J. R. Agee, Springfield
       Julius Engelman, O'Fallon
       George Miller, Troy
       Mary Duffner, Nilwood
       Daniel Tarrant, Brooklyn, N.Y.
       Mrs. G. B. Clifton, Staunton
       G. W. McGehe, Shawneetown
       Guy Smith, Shawneetown
       John Hohe, Trenton
       Edw. White, Decatur
       L. Y. Rains, Carlinville
       V. T. McCall, Gillespie
       J. M. Judge, Litchfield
       E. J. Young, Staunton
       C. S. Mehl, I.T.S. employ
       C. F. Miller, Sparta
       Mrs. L. E. Cordum, Gillespie
       Joseph Clark, Benld
       Unknown man
       Hazel Sinniger, 1424 Lowel Ave., Springfield
       James Scotland, Sawyerville
       George Oehlers, Staunton
       James Parker, Staunton
       Henry Saul, Belleville.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 60 Number 13
Tuesday, November 1, 1910, Page 2
      The marriage of Willard Wharton formerly of Aledo but now of Gillespie, III., occurred on Oct. 16. They will be at home to their friends after Nov. 4.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 14 Number 67
Tuesday, March 21, 1911, Pages 5 & 8
- - - - -

Italian Strikers, Heavily Armed, Menace Citizens of Gillespie
-- Ten Military Companies at Scene.
- - - - -
Special to Courier-Herald.
      Springfield, Ill., March 21. -- Acting upon the urgent demand of Sheriff Etter and citizens of Macoupin county. Governor Deneen today ordered three hundred troops to Gillespie and Benld to suppress riots made by strikers of the Northwestern railroad coal company. Armed with shot guns and various other weapons one thousand Italians made a demonstration today against the inhabitants of Gillespie. Bloodshed was prevented by citizens who patrolled streets. Ten companies of state troops are now on the scene, having been called at an early hour this morning.
Page 8
Guardsmen Pass Through
      Five companies of the Fourth regiment and four of the Fifth of the Illinois National Guard, went through the city today en route to Gillespie, III., the scene of labor troubles. Co. M would have been called but for their inspection Thursday night.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 14 Number 67
Tuesday, March 21, 1911, Pages 5 & 8
- - - - -
      Gillespie, Ill., March 21. --(Special to The Atlas)-- Six hundred striking miners met the first two companies of militia which arrived here at daybreak to prevent riots at the Benld mines and attempted to make a demonstration.
      The soldiers dispersed them and four hundred militia men are now stationed at Benld,
      The soldiers were ordered to the mines early this morning by Governor Deneen to prevent the property from being destroyed. The foreign miners struck this morning when car loading machines were installed. They dumped the coal loaded by the Americans and for a moment it looked as though a battle would occur. Officials of the company threatened to close the mine indefinitely unless the trouble ceases.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 60 Number 134
Wednesday, March 22, 1911, Page 1
- - - - -

Miners in Gillespie District Show No Disposition to Resume Rioting.
- - - - -
- - - - -
Americans Refuse to Return to Work as Long as Militiamen Remain in Vicinity.
- - - - -
      Gillespie, Ill., March 22. -- The mines closed yesterday on account of threatened trouble did not resume today as expected, the union miners having decided not to go to work while the militia are present. Colonel Lang, commanding the troops, says there is no present need of soldiers in this vicinity, and it is possible the entire body of militia may be withdrawn today.
      Gillespie, Ill., March 22. -- Colonel Lang later decided not to withdraw the troops until the sheriff has a large enough force of organized deputies to successfully cooperate with any emergency.
- - - - -       - - - - -
For More Of This Story- See : Aggressive Diggers
Aggressive Diggers header
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 60 Number 134
Wednesday, March 22, 1911, Page 1
- - - - -

Militiamen Return Home Though Miners Are Not at Work.
- - - - -
      Gillespie, Ill. March 23. -- The troops on strike duty here broke camp today and returned to their homes. The miners have not reached any decision at to returning to work.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 60 Number 152
April 12, 1911, Page 12
- - - - -

Gillespie, Ill. Man Then Turns Gun on Self and Dies
- - - - -
      Hillsboro, Ill., April 12. -- Ellis Bailey of Gillespie went to Witt, a town 10 miles east of Hillsboro, yesterday and after finding his wife shot her in the head with a revolver, and before other members of the household could get into the room which they occupied had turned the weapon on himself and put a bullet through his temple. Both died instantly.
      The shooting is said to be the direct result of an indictment returned by the grand jury, which is in session at Hillsboro, and which charges Benjamin Summerfield and Frances May Bailey with criminal relations.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 14 Number 121
May 23, 1911, Page 7
Body of Child Found In Shed.
      Carlinville, May 23. -- Henry W. Behrens, a business man of Gillespie, this county, found the body of a child, evidently a few hours old, in an outhouse at the rear of his place of business. In the same outhouse, three years ago, the body of another child was found. No arrests have ever been made in the former case, and so far there seems to be no clue to the guilty parties in the present case.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 17, Number 21
Thursday, July 20, 1911, Page 2
Body of Child Found In Shed.
      Gillespie. -- August Crowder, a miner, living in Chicago Heights, a settlement near the No. 3 mine, was drowned while attempting to rescue his eight-year-old son from drowning. The man and the boy were passing the day at the lake in Interurban park. The boy went bathing and got beyond his depth. The father plunged in after him, but was taken with cramps before he could get out of the water. The boy was saved.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
New York Clipper, New York
Volume 19 Number 52
February 10, 1912, Page 23
      Stuart Maguire, owner of Princess Bonita, the educated horse, and E. L. Sparks, owner of the late "Ben-Hur" horse, have formed a partnership, and they are now playing opera houses through Illinois, with Missouri to follow. The opening night at Gillespie, Ill., set a record for the house, and business has been big right along the line.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 15 Number 132
Friday, May 10, 1912, Page 1
- - - - -
Special to The Courier-Herald:
      Gillespie, Ill., May 10. -- Five men were shot in a riot among 300 miners at Benld, a coal town two miles south of here today. A strike for some time has been on. Strikers appeared at the mines early today and wanted to return to work. A battle occurred, when men gathered to prevent other men from working. The mine is owned by the Superior Coal Co. Foreigners are arming themselves and the sheriff expects further trouble and is busy swearing in deputies to prevent trouble.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 15 Number 133
Saturday, May 11, 1912, Page 1
Five Are Wounded, In Clash In Illinois.
- - - - -

Five Shot in Illinois
- - - - -
      Springfield, III., May 11. -- A disagreement between foreign and American miners at Benld , Macoupin county, as to whether they should go to work without awaiting the result of the referendum vote now being taken in the state, resulted in one man being fatally injured and four others wounded.
      About 500 American miners from Gillespie, who were going to work in mine No. 3, were attacked by a similar number of foreign miners from Benld , who work In mine No. 2. Shots were exchanged between the two bodies, with the above result.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Day Book, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 1, Number 195
Saturday, May 11, 1912, Page 25
      Gillespie, Ill., Officials of Superior Coal Co. have decided not to attempt to work mines in vicinity of Gillespie and Benld. Six miners shot in riot at Benld yesterday. Conditions quieter today.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Franklin Reporter, Franklin Grove, Illinois
Volume 41, Number 20
Thursday, May 16, 1912 , Page 2
      Springfield, Ill., May 12. -- A disagreement between foreign and American miners at Benld, Macoupin county, as to whether they should go to work without awaiting the result of the referendum vote now being taken in the state, resulted in one man being fatally injured and four others wounded last Friday.
      About 500 American miners from Gillespie, who were going to work in mine No. 3, were attacked by a similar number of foreign miners from Benld, who work in mine No. 2. Shots were exchanged between the two bodies, with the above result.
      The American miners retreated after the conflict and did not attempt to go to work.
      About forty women were among the mob of foreigners, but none was injured.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The St. Anne Record, St. Anne, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 11
Friday, July 26, 1912, Page 7
      Gillespie. -- Following the threats of a man who was denied the privilege of boarding a train of the Illinois Traction system at Gillespie, an attempt was made to wreck No. 13 south-bound, just south of that place. Motorman Gordin noticed an obstruction on the track and reversed his power, but the car was so close that the pilot struck the obstruction, which proved to be a tie placed across the rails. The car held to the rails and the tie skidded along In front of the wheels without doing any damage.
- - - - -
      Litchfield. -- Bert Linton, a Gillespie miner, died here from injuries suffered in a quarrel in the Owl saloon in Gillespie. He was thirty-five years old and leaves a widow and five children. His father is J. M. Linton. He has three brothers and three sisters.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Warren County Democrat, Monmouth, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 39
Thursday, October 10, 1912, Page 6
      Gillespie. -- James Kier Hardle, member of the British parliament. Socialist and labor leader, spent several hours in Gillespie visiting miners who were formerly his friends in England.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      November of 1912 was the first of a well-lighted city with 85 street lights being installed at intersections in Gillespie.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
      In February of 1913, four doctors of Gillespie organized a hospital association and set up an operating room equipped with the latest equipment. The building was the former White School House which recently had been the residence of Mrs. Rose McKee who operated a boarding house here. Doctors Denny, English, Hall, and King were the physicians.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Rock Island Argus, Rock Island, Illinois
Volume 62 Number 165
Wednesday, April 30, 1913, Page 3
Shakeup in Bloomington Team.
      Bloomington, Ill., April 30. -- Before leaving for Dubuque yesterday Manager Syfert gave Bloomington another shakeup, releasing Scott Lucas, the local collegian trying for first base, and Pitcher William Clayton of Gillespie, Ill., and selling Pitchers Hickstein of Chicago and Balls of Decatur, Ind., to Pekin. Catcher Jesse Clinton was purchased from Burlington.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      A Ford auto agency was began by Henry Bycroft in July of 1913 and later in the year he took on selling of the Overland. In the later years he was selling the Willys-Knight. Early in 1914 he converted his livery into a garage.
      (The Overland was designed and built by Claude E. Cox of the Standard Wheel Company of Terre Haute, Indiana. It was taken over by Cox who then partnered with David M. Parry. In 1907 an economic depression changed the financial situation and in1908, Overland Motors was purchased by John North Willys. In 1912, the auto was renamed Willys-Overland. The auto continued to be produced until 1926 it was succeeded by the Willys Whippet.)
- - - - -       - - - - -
November 1913 Sanborn Insurance Maps 1
Gillespie 1913 map 1a
Gillespie 1913 map 2a
Gillespie 1913 map 3a
Gillespie 1913 map 4a
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Chicago Livestock World, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 15 Number 12
Saturday, December 27, 1913, Page 2
      SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Auditor Brady issued a permit to R. H. Isaacs, Eli Miller and W. E. Schmidt to organize the Gillespie Trust and Savings Bank with a capital of $50,000 and a charter tenure ot 99 years. The institution will succeed the Bank of Gillespie, a private institution. Bank of Gillespie
Bank of Gillespie 2
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
Urbana Daily Courier-Herald, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 26 Number 118
Friday Evening, April 24, 1914, Page 2
- - - - -

Pape Williams , a Gillespie Merchant, Is Shot Down by Frank Coudrey, an Undertaker -- Wife Is Witness
- - - - -
      Gillespie, April 21. -- Pape Williams, a local merchant, was shot and killed in the lobby of a theater here by Frank Coudrey, an undertaker. Willlams' wife was leaning on his arm at the time of the tragedy. The shooting was over so quickly that the crowd leaving the theater did not seem to realize what happened, and none know who fired the shot. An hour later James B. Coudrey, father of Frank Coudrey, told the police that his son had come home greatly excited and had said that he killed Williams. The slayer then disappeared and a posse has been unable to find him.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Henry Republican, Henry, Marshall County, Illinois
Volume 62, Number 48
May 28, 1914, Page 1
      Mayor Bert Rice, Mr. T. W. Stehline and Mr. R. H. Isaacs, members, of a committee representing the citizens of Gillespie, Ill., were the guests of Messrs. Camp and Sterrett at a 7o'clock dinner at the Camp House Tuesday evening. Fred S. Potter and C. E. Smith of Henry, and C. B. Cheadle of Joliet, dined with them. These gentlemen from Gillespie are investigating the kind of telephone exchanges which have been installed by Camp and Sterrett et al in some ten different cities in Illinois, kind of service rendered, price charged, etc. They expressed themselves as being well pleased and hope to have an up-to-date telephone system installed by the same parties in their city in the near future. A new building similar to the one here will be built in Gillespie.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Weekly Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois
Volume 68, Number 22
Friday Morning, May 29, 1914, Page 6
Mrs. John Goodpasture.
      Mrs. John Goodpasture, of 305 West Market street, died at St. Mary's hospital, in Decatur Tuesday evening about 8:30, following an operation for cancer. Mrs. Goodpasture was taken to Decatur in January, from St. Joseph's hospital, in this city, where she submitted to one operation.
      Miss Tillie Goesman was born near Gillespie, Ill, on Feb. 6, 1884. She came to this city about ten years ago, from Gillespie, and entered Brown's Business College, where she graduated. Later she was united in marriage to John Goodpasture, in Springfield, and then moved to this city, Mr. Goodpasture taking a position as conductor on the Illinois Traction System. Besides her husband, Mrs. Goodpasture leaves one son, George Wesley, who is 5 years of age; her father, John Goesman, and the following brothers and sisters, John, Jr., Victoria, Erma, Mrs. M. Schmidt, B. Goesman, Eilert and H. Heyer, all of Gillespie, and Mrs. H. W. Holland, of Chicago.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bureau County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois
Volume 41, Number 46
Friday, July 10, 1914, Page 5
      Gillespie. -- County authorities at Carlinville and local authorities received word that Frank W. Caudry of this city, alleged slayer of Elsworth Williams of Gillespie, several months ago, has been arrested in Kokomo, Ind.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Miners Coöperative Store
      The Gillespie Coöperative Society, of Gillespie, Ill., had a formal opening of its $1400 store building on miners' election day, Dec. 8, 1914. This is said to be the first miners' coöperative store in Illinois.
Miners' Co-op Store
Miners Coöperative Store 3
This appears to be
the same building
as it is in 2010
located on the southwest corner
of Spruce and Macoupin streets
(Macoupin St. is the main street)
(and is also IL RT 4)
Photo of Store in 2010

      The store is of brick, two stories high, and has a large basement. The ground floor is used for groceries and foodstuffs in general, the second story is for dry goods and the basement for general storage. The building occupies a corner site on the main street which makes possible excellent window displays.
      The Scotch bandmen made a picturesque feature with their pipes and kilts while furnishing the music for the occasion.
Gillespie Pipers Band
The Gillespie Pipers 4
Composed of Miners Working in the
Superior Coal Co.'s Mines
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Monmouth Daily Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Thursday, January 7, 1915, Page 7
Horse Trade Nets $400,000.
      Alton, Jan. 7. -- Several years ago Peter Gross of Gillespie was offered 28 acres in Virginia in exchange for a horse. As he prized the horse and had not seen the land, Gross entered the trade reluctantly. While visiting friends here he announced that coal had been discovered on his Virginia land and that he had sold the mining rights for $400,000.
- - - - -       - - - - -
New York Clipper, New York
January 9, 1915, Page 12
      GILLESPIE, Ill. -- Hall and store building, 22 x 110, Gillespie. Architect, O. T. Norton, Thirteenth and Cherokee Streets. St. Louis Mo. Owner, Wm. J. Lemp Brewing Co., Thirteenth and Cherokee Streets, St. Louis.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Monmouth Daily Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Monday, May 10, 1915, Page 2
Illinois Doctor Arrested.
      Carlinville, May 10. -- Dr. P. N. Bowman of Gillespie was brought here and placed In jail to await action of the circuit court of Macoupin county following a coroner's Inquest into the death of Mrs. Esther Miller at her home near Benld. John Miller, husband of the woman, testified at the inquest that Doctor Bowman performed an operation on his wife about seven days ago, and the jury's verdict holds the physician responsible for her death. Doctor Bowman denied having performed the operation, but the husband testified he saw Doctor Bowman perform it. Mrs. Miller was the mother of four children.
- - - - -       - - - - -
4 - H
      The first 4-H club in Illinois was the Union Pig Club organized by C.C. Coots in Macoupin County in the spring of 1915.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 21, Number 18
Thursday, June 24, 1915, Page 7
      Gillespie. -- The Superior coal mines at Gillespie set a new record for mining coal this week, when mine No. 3 in a single day hoisted 5,195 tons, or 1,546 cars.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Henry Republican, Henry, Marshall County, Illinois
Volume 64, Number 2
July 8, 1915, Page 3
Horse Trade Nets $400,000.
- - - - -
      The Alton Times contains the following account of how Peter Gross of Gillespie, became wealthy:
      Peter Gross of Gillespie, was here recently. He was looking up an Alton man in connection with a big deal he has on. Mr. Gross was a miner for many years and has been known to H. S. Dorsey all his life. Mr. Dorsey says that Mr .Gross was from early manhood a good horse trader.
      The trade that Mr. Dorsey tells about sounds fabulous, but it is true. About 15 years ago Mr. Gross had a nice horse which he traded for 200 acres of land In Virginia. The land was worth little or nothing he thought, but he took a gambler's chance.
      He delivered the horse to the man with whom he traded, took the deed and title to the land. He paid the taxes year after year, and waited for something to turn up.
      Mr. Dorsey is waiting for the deal to be closed to give the story in all its details to the newspapers, but it is enough to state now that coal has been discovered on or rather under this land.
      The coal has been tested and developed and he has an offer of $2000 per acre royalty for the coal rights. Figure it up for yourself, 200 acres at $2000 per acre amounts to $400,000, and Mr. Gross is worth nearly half a million dollars.
      He is much pleased, a bit excited, but not puffed up and has not yet bought an automobile or a castle. But he says he will scatter some of that money before the year 1915 ends.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Champaign Daily News, Champaign, Illinois
Volume 21, Number 25
Saturday, August 28, 1915, Page 1
- - - - -

Beautiful Slav Now in Charge of Macoupin County Officers
      Gillespie, Ill., Aug. 28. -- Her memory a blank, her bare feet bruised and bleeding from walking many miles, her clothing nearly torn from her body, a beautiful Slav woman, scantily clad, was found wandering aimlessly about three miles northwest of town today by officers from this city.
      Where she came from, who she is and where she was going are the mysteries confront in u the officers of Macoupin county who now have her in charge.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Chicago Livestock World, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 16 Number 25
Monday, October 11, 1915, Page 3
      Thomas Fisher, 8 years old, was hit over the heart by a line drive at a ball game in Gillespie, Ill., and instantly killed. The child was sitting on his father's knee.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bureau County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois
Volume 43 Number -
Friday, October 15, 1915, Page 5
- - - - -

Six-Year-Old Johnny Fisher Is Fatally Hurt During Game
-- Sphere Breaks Ribs and Sends Splinter to Heart.
- - - - -
      Gillespie. -- Six-year-old Johnny Fisher Is dead as a result of going to a ball game. The tragic death occurred during the game between Neals team of Carlinvllle and the local nine, when a foul ball, batted by Oehler of Carlinvllle. struck the boy above the heart. Johnny's father placed him in an automobile and started to a physician's office, not realizing that the injury was serious. On tho way the boy died. The death was not reported at the game and the contest went the full nine innings, resulting in a score of 3 to 0 in favor of Carlinville. An autopsy showed the ball broke two of the little fellow's ribs, a splinter from one of them piercing his heart. The boy was one of the most enthusiastic of the youthful "fans" of the town.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Weekly Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois
Volume 68, Number 48
Friday, November 26, 1915, Page 5
Fete -- Walker.
      Springfield. Nov. 23. --(Special.)-- A marriage license has been issued here to Harrison Fete, of Gillespie and Miss Nina Walker, of Mason City.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bureau County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois
Volume 43, Number 22
Friday, December 31, 1915, Page 9
William Jones
      William Jones, a brother of George M. Jones of this city, and at one time a resident of Gillespie, passed away at the home of his brother, George M. Jones, at 1:30 a. m., Saturday, December 18th, 1916, after a short illness, at the age of 68 years, 10 months and 23 days.
      The funeral was conducted from the Christian church Monday, December 20th, at 2:30 p. m., Rev. Brimberry of the Christian church officiating.
      About twelve years ago William Jones left Gillespie and settled in Colorado, where he spent a number of years. He at one time conducted a blacksmith shop in this city on the ground where the Gillespie Lumber company is now erecting an office.
      He leaves only one brother, George M. Jones of this city, to mourn his death.
      The interment was at the Gillespie cemetery.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
Gillespie began paving its streets in 1916.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Henry Republican, Henry, Marshall County, Illinois
Volume 64, Number 37
March 9, 1916, Page 6
Mrs. Elizabeth P. Crowell
      At Maroa, Mrs. Elizabeth P. Crowell, a sister-in-law of Mrs. Wikoff, who passed away on Feb. 26. She was a daughter of the late Simeon Pool, also an early pioneer who was the owner and occupied the farm two miles north of Henry, now owned by Anton Stadel. He located there in 1832. She was also an aunt of Justice of the Peace Frank Dennis of this city, whose mother was a sister of deceased, and was born on the Stadel farm spoken of above. The Maroa News-Times of March 2, chronicles the demise as follows:
      "Mrs. Elizabeth P. Crowell died at her home Saturday morning, Feb. 26, following a week's illness with pneumonia and complications. She was a resident of Maroa for many years, for most of the time of which she made her home with Mrs. Charlotte Wikoff, who preceded her in death three weeks before. Mrs. Crowell was born in Marshall county, Illinois, Aug. 14, 1839, and was married to Edward R. Crowell Sept. 16, 1858. The husband died at Gillespie, Ill., in 1888. Three children were born to and Mrs. Crowell,but they have all died. Mrs. Crowell is survived by one brother, P. R. Pool of Richmond, Cal., and by one sister Mrs. Peter Braden of Macedonia, Ia. She was a member of the Methodist church in Maroa.
      We understand that at the death of Mrs.W Wikoff the estate of the late Peter Wikoff estimated at $70,000 is to be partitioned. Hon. T. N. Leavitt of Maroa, is the administrator and George Vail is one of the heirs.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Monmouth Daily Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Tuesday, April 11, 1916, Page 4
Couple Remarried.
      Carlinville, April 11. -- Henry Davis, fifty-three years, and Elizabeth Davis, forty-nine, of Gillespie, were remarried here at the courthouse by Judge A. J. Duggan. Mrs. Davis had recently come from England, and though they were married there, they said they had no proof of the ceremony.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Monmouth Daily Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Monday, May 8, 1916, Page 4
      Now is the time for the highway commissioners to put in some much needed work on the roads. The roads, on account of the long winter, are in a bad condition and it is going to take considerable grading and dragging to get them hack into shape. We must have better roads in this country and it makes no difference what has to be done to get them, we must have them. We don't care what kind of roads are constructed, whether of brick or cement or just dirt roads, just so long as something is done to got them into shape. The government has set aside a Good Roads Day and we think it would be a bright idea if the highway commissioners would put a large force of men to work on that day and put our roads in good condition. -- Gillespie News.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Day Book, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 5, Number 194
May 13, 1916, Page 29
      The co-operative stores which have been, established in the Illinois mining region and which are owned in whole by the workers who buy at them are proving a great success. The Riverton and Gillespie societies have just issued their annual reports. The Gillespie company, which has been in existence but three years, last year paid a dividend of 9 per cent and has a reserve fund of $5,000. The Riverton company last week payed an 8 per cent dividend and is as well entrenched with surplus funds.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Champaign Daily News, Champaign, Illinois
Volume 21, Number 255
Monday, May 22, 1916, Page 8
Seeks Damages From Germany.
      Gillespie, III., May 22. -- Damages from the German government for the wiping out of his family in the sinking of the Lusitania May 7, 1915, are being sought by Robert McKretchen of this place. Mrs. McKretchen, and two sons, one of them an instant, lost their lives when the liner was torpedoed.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Monmouth Daily Atlas, Monmouth, Illinois
Tuesday, June 20, 1916, Page 2
Start Test Case.
      Carlinville, June 20. -- A test case under the statute which now makes it the duty of coal-mine operators to provide washrooms for their employees at convenient places near to the mine will be tried in the county court. There are four prosecutions pending against the Superior Coal company, which operates the large mines located at Benld and Gillespie.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Farm Home of Illinois, Springfield, Illinois
Volume 45 Number 41
July 1, 1916, Page 13
- - - - -
      Miss Georgia Huddleston, R. F. D. No, 9, Gillespie, Ill., age 14 years, on account of the excellence of her essay, was put on the "Honorable Mention" list. Her essay to The Farm Home Girls' Department is as follows:
      "After the June roses have bloomed and are fast fading away, the days glide by and the Fourth of July draws near. As this time comes we think, Why do we celebrate the Fourth of July ? Then the following story comes to our minds as an answer:
      "A long time ago the American people were under the rule of Great Britain. She oppressed them in many ways and took away many of their rights. At last, America and Great Britain had war, the first battle being fought at Lexington.
      "About a year after the battle of Lexington, the people began to think seriously of declaring their independence from Great Britain. Many sharp battles had been fought, and the British soldiers had been driven out of Boston.
      "The American people asked for the rights which properly belonged to them, but the king refused to listen. Men were everywhere losing the feeling of attachment to Great Britain.
      "At last independence was openly discussed, and the American people decided to make a Declaration of Independence. A committee was appointed and this resolution was offered:
      "'Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and ought to be, independent states; and all political connection between us and the state of Great Britain is and ought to be totally dissolved,
      "This was approved, and discussed on July 4, 1776. It was signed and the United Colonies became independent states. On the same day it was made known throughout the United States that that day was the nation's birthday of independence. The people were very glad, and celebrated the day in many ways. Bells were rung; guns were fired; bonfires were built. The people all shouted and were glad, because they were free to do as they wished.
      "Every year, on the Fourth of July, we celebrate this great event. Different people have different ways of celebrating, but I like a quiet celebration best.
      "On that day, when everything is decorated with flags, we think of Betsy Ross, who made the first flag; then we think of what the flag symbolizes. The thirteen stripes of alternate red and white represent the thirteen original colonies. The stars of white on a field of blue represent the states of the Union. Even the colors have a language -- white for purity, red for valor, and blue for justice; and, altogether, bunting, stripes, stars and colors, blazing in the sky, make the flag of our country to be cherished by all our hearts and be upheld by all our hands.
      "On the morning of that day we all go to a nearby grove, where everything is decorated with flags and red, white and blue bunting.
      "Before dinner we play games, visit and shoot off some fireworks. At noon we eat a large picnic dinner. After the lunch is cleared away we have a program; speak pieces, sing patriotic songs, and have some gentleman to speak. After this, we eat our supper, and after that comes the sky rockets and fireworks.
      "The large balls of fire burst in the air and make a beautiful sight. We each have enjoyed the day, and we go home tired, but happy, and we look forward to the next celebration of the nation's birthday."
- - - - -       - - - - -
Note is made of Mr. John Calcarri getting a new "Crow" automobile in July of 1916.
Crow Automobile
      (Black Crow automobiles were manufactured from 1909-1911 by the Crow Motor Car Company in Elkhart, Indiana and sold by the Black Motor Company.) The Crow-Elkhart was an automobile manufactured from 1909 until 1924 by the Crow-Elkhart Motor Car Co. of Elkhart, Indiana. The founders were Dr. L.C. Crow and his son Martin Crow.)
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Quill, La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois
Volume 25, Number 20
Tuesday, September 19, 1916, Page 4
      The voters of Gillespie defeated proposition for the creation of a township high school by the vote of 221 to 206.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 3
Thursday, March 8, 1917, Page 7
      Mt. Olive. Prof. V. B. Meisenholder has resigned from the high school here, his successor being Miss Rosa Burke of Gillespie.
- - - - -
      Carlinville. Gas struck on the Joseph Millar farm in Brushy Mound, four miles from here, at a depth of 410 feet.
- - - - -
      Benld. The planing mill of the Macoupin Construction company burned.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 5
Thursday, March 22, 1917, Page 3
      Gillespie. The Gillespie Lumber company has been sold to R. C. Jones of Taylorville and C. B. Phelps of Pana.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 8
Thursday, April 12, 1917, Page 6
      Gillespie. S. P. Preston, editor of the News, broke his arm while cranking his auto.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The St. Anne Record, St. Anne, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 51
Thursday, May 3, 1917, Page 3
      The public utilities commission has ordered the C. C. C. & St. L. road to provide adequate, and sanitary depot accommodations at Gillespie.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Daily National Live Stock Reporter, National Stock Yards, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 125
Friday, May 25, 1917, Page 4
Small Boy Makes Grewsome [sic Gruesome] Find.
- - - - -
      GILLESPIE, Ill., May 26. -- A skull, two ribs, other bones and some fragments of human flesh wrapped in a newspaper dated April 20, 1917, were found in a field near here by a small boy yesterday. Physicians said the remnants of a human body were that of a person about 15 years old, sex unknown.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Quill, La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois
Volume 26, Number 6
Tuesday, June 12, 1917, Page 1
      Joseph Gahagan recently sold his farm for $15,000 to the superior Coal company at Gillespie. He was employed to wall up the side of the new shaft and fell to his death.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      In June of 1917, a Jeffery auto truck was purchased in St. Louis by Charles Johnson to use in his oil business.
      (The Thomas B. Jeffery Company was automobile manufacturer in Kenosha, Wisconsin from 1902 until 1916. The company manufactured with the brand name of Rambler and Jeffery. In 1915, Charles T. Jeffery, changed the name from Rambler to Jeffery to honor his father, the founder of the company. Charles W. Nash bought the company in August of 1916 and ultimately changed the name to Nash in 1917. During World War I, Jeffery designed a four wheel drive truck, known as the Quad or Jeffery Quad and Nash Quad that assisted the Allied effort.)
- - - - -       - - - - -
      An organizational meeting took place in June of 1917 to form a Gillespie branch of the Red Cross. With coal being struck at Number 4 in late September, an auction for the first load took place in Gillespie on Saturday afternoon with the proceeds going to the Red Cross. The load of 8,420 pounds and was purchased by James Doty, of Gillespie, for twenty-six dollars.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 19
Thursday, June 28, 1917, Page 6
      Gillespie. -- Charles Howell had both bones in leg broken when house he was helping move fell on it.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      As the United States prepares for war , a draft a list of 233 was drawn in July 1917 for the district (south half of Macoupin County), including 30 from Benld, 76 from Gillespie and 2 from Sawyerville.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Quill, La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois
Volume 26, Number 16
August 21, 1917, Page 4
      Donald Christie, mine engineer at Gillespie, who was injured in a house drum, worked for several days before a surgeon by taking an X-ray photograph, proved to him that his neck had been broken.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      In September of 1917, the first called in the draft were 12 from the district (District No. 2 of Macoupin County). They went to Camp Taylor, Kentucky for training. A second call later in the month sent more area residents to Camp Taylor for training in the artillery. The government of Germany signs the Armistice on November 11, 1918. The rest of World War I is another story.
- - - - -       - - - - -
World War I
Leaving For Service
Gillespie Soldiers, October, 1917
WWI soldiers Leaving For Service
Photograph courtesy of Colin Murphy
Top row :
      George Kaskutas, Werner Smith, William Duffy, Jim Fitzpatrick.
Second row :
      Joe Milnor, Frank Roberts, Bob Frew, Frank Redolfi, Henry Frame, Jimmy Gray.
Front Row :
      John Carr, John Harris, Wil Cowie, George Mitchell, John Andreaus.
Note :
Those leaving Gillespie for Camp Taylor, Kentucky included :
      William Duffy, James Fitzpatrick, Henry Frame, George Kaskutas, J. W. Kissel,
      Joe Marculinus, George Mitchell, Jake Morgan, Mino Osterkamp


- - - - -
      Preparations for sinking a new mine on the north edge of Gillespie were taking place in 1918 and a new "Liberty Place Addition" with concrete walks and several houses being constructed. The "Liberty Mine ( later known as the "Little Dog Coal Mine") was began by Sam Westwood and was operated as "Gillespie Coal Company". Sam M. Westwood was a resident of Staunton, Illinois in 1910. On the 12th of September in 1918, he registered for the World War I draft. His birth date was shown as June 12, 1877 and he listed his residence as Gillespie, Illinois. The occupation was stated as "Mine Superintendent" for the Gillespie Coal Company. Four months of work was needed to sink this new mine, at 345 feet to the top of the coal and with the coal seam being 7½ to 8 feet thick, it is providing coal for local use.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      In January of 1918, the Gillespie City Council voted to have street signs put up and, each home owner should have their house number put up at their own expense.
German was discontinued as a subject in the Gillespie schools during the first part of 1918, as directed by Professor Frank Hoehn, the superintendent.
      Though proposed in earlier years, Daylight Saving Time wasn't used until World War I, in 1916 it was adopted and implemented by several countries in Europe. Daylight Saving Time was first adopted in the United States in 1918 and began during World War I in order to save energy for war production.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 23, Number 46
Thursday, January 3, 1918 , Page 7
      Gillespie. -- A mammoth hoisting engine has arrived for the Superior mine, No. 4, said to be one of the largest in the world. It will have a capacity of 10,000 tons a day, employing in the neighborhood of 2,000 men when in full operation.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Franklin Reporter, Franklin Grove, Illinois
Volume 51, Number 6
February 7, 1918, Page 2
      When the residence of John Cowle burned at Gillespie, John Shank, a boarder, lost $1,000 in bills which he had hidden in a trunk.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The St. Anne Record, St. Anne, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 47
Thursday, April 25, 1918, Page 7
      Enterprising citizens of Gillespie are sinking a coal mine just north of that city that the town may he supplied without having to ship it in from outside mines.
- - - - -
      A movement is being started at Staunton for the placing of receptacles in various parts of the city to receive objectionable German literature or printed propaganda.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 8, Number 23
Saturday, August 3, 1918, Page 4
- - - - -
      The Gillespie News has given its subscribers notice that on and after August 1st the subscription price of that paper will be $2.00 in advance or Editor Preston will quit the game.
      The newspaper situation is becoming worse and worse and they are dying like flies on a cold morning. Everything that is used in the production of a newspaper has been either doubled, tripled or quadrupled in price and publishers are fighting for an existence with their backs to the wall.
      Latest developments are that the Federal Trade Commission has granted to paper makers an increase of approximately 50 per cent in the price of news print. Along with this the post office authorities have succeeded in getting a bill through which nearly doubles the second-class rate of postage and provides for further increased rates annually up to 1921. In addition a tax has been placed on all advertising carried by newspapers in excess of 5 per cent of the total space of the paper. The rates of postage are regulated by zones and those going farthest cost the most. Where but one copy goes to a certain zone, the postage for one year amounts to 52 cents. At $1.00 per year, one can easily imagine where the publisher gets off.
      It is estimated that a year hence will see about one-half as many newspapers as at present.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 8, Number 32
Saturday, October 5, 1918, Pages 8 & 9
Valentine Bauer.
      Valentine Bauer, aged 77 years, 8 months and 18 days, died Monday at 12:35 p .m. at 221 East Church street, where he had made his home for some time, as a result of an attack of pleurisy.
      The deceased was born in Germany and emigrated to this country about 48 years ago, having been in Collinsville and vicinity for the past fifteen years. He was married in the old country but his wife died about twenty-seven years ago, and since that time has been making his home with his children until a short time ago when he took up his residence at the place where he died. He was a miner and followed his vocation in this vicinity as an examiner and boss at the various mines. He is survived by five children, three sons and two daughters, as follows: Louis and Ed of this city, Otto, of Mascoutah, Ill., Mrs. Lester Little, of Benld, Ill., and Mrs. Thos. Slinger, of Chicago. There are also eleven grandchildren and one great grandchild.
      Funeral services were conducted at the late residence in this city Tuesday evening by Rev. Theodore Cates, and Wednesday morning the remains were taken to Gillespie, Ill., for interment. Friends of the family extend heartfelt, sympathy in the sad hour of bereavement.
      Mrs. Anna Herbst, Mr. and Mrs. Glen Brown, Walter Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Windsor and William Yoncosky were among those from this city to attend the funeral of Valentine Bauer in Gillespie Wednesday.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 8, Number 45
Saturday, January 4, 1919, Page 1
- - - - -

Former Collinsville Boy Loses Life in Mine Accident.
      William Gennetti, aged 25 years, a son of William Gennetti, Sr., of East Church street, this city, was instantly killed in a mine accident in the Gillespie mine Monday, where he was employed in the capacity of a motorman.
      Deceased was born and raised in this city, and during his boyhood days attended the Catholic schools. He left this place about ten years ago, going to Gillespie. He was married about three years ago to Miss Ollie Pazini, a Glen Carbon lady, and the widow, and one daughter two years of age survive. Besides the father and stepmother in this city, there is also one sister, Miss Katie Gennetti, of this city, one brother, Charles Gennetti, residing in Gillespie, and one brother, John Gennetti, who is with the American army in France.
      The remains were brought to this city Thursday and funeral services were conducted from SS. Peter and Paul's Catholic church and interment was in the Catholic cemetery.
      Gennetti was a member of the local C. K. of A. organization.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 8, Number 46
Saturday, January 11, 1919 , Page 5
      Architect J. W. Kennedy, of this city, has been selected to draw the plans and superintend the Community High School building to be erected at Gillespie, Ill., a structure which will cost in the neighborhood of $80,000. Mr. Kennedy has also been awarded the planning and of a Community High School building for East Alton and Woodriver, the latter building being a $60,000 structure.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      In 1919 the Gillespie High School was built. 2
Gillepsie High School
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Champaign Daily News, Champaign, Illinois
Volume 24, Number 143
Monday, January 13, 1919, Page 4
      Word has been received of the death of Dave Richards, at Gillespie, Saturday morning. Mr. Richards was a former resident of Monticello, operating a lumber business while here. He sold out to the Montlcello Lumber Co., about five years ago and moved his family away. Death was caused by acute rheumatism, after illness of two weeks.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      Klocke & Schreiner opened their dealership in February of 1919 selling Oldsmobiles and Dodge automobiles.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Franklin Reporter, Franklin Grove, Illinois
Volume 52, Number 14
Thursday, April 3, 1919, Page 6
      An athletic association, composed of representative business men of Gillespie, is being formed for the purpose of having direct supervision of all sports there.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Chicago Packer, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 21 Number 20
April 12, 1919, Page 2
Now the A. H. Behrens Company.
      Gillespie, Ill., April 11. -- The Behrens Brokerage Company of this city has changed the style of the firm name and will hereafter be known as the A. H. Behrens Company. The management and character of the business will, however, remain unchanged.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 9, Number 11
Saturday, May 10, 1919, Page 1
- - - - -
      Two machines, one being driven by Frank Frame, of Gillespie, and the other one by Roy Bitzer, driver of the service car for the Bitzer Garage, ran together at the top of the long hill on the St. Louis road just outside of the city limits. Both autos were pretty badly damaged, but one was easily put in running order again while the other had an axle so badly bent that it was necessary to pull it into the garage on a "dolly" truck. No one was injured.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Quill, La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 9
Tuesday, July 1, 1919, Page 5
      Silk shirt thieves have descended upon Macoupin county. Albert Sanders' store at Mt. Olive was recently robbed of $300 worth of shirts. A day or so before that. Long Brothers' store at Gillespie was entered and a quantity of silk shirts taken. A clerk of another Gillespie store, found wearing one of the shirts, was arrested. While he was in jail the store was robbed again.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Industry Press, Industry, Illinois
Volume 4, Number 20
Thursday, July 31, 1919, Page 3
      Jerseyville. --The committee in charge of the soldiers' homecoming celebration of Jersey county's eightieth birthday on August 5, has engaged the White Hussar band of 30 pieces to come here from Alton and aid in the festivities. The other band is the Scottish Pipers band of Gillespie. An invitation was sent to Gov. Frank O. Lowden to be present and deliver the address of the day, but "owing to the press of business" the governor can't come, so Judge Norman L. Jones of Carrollton will speak.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 9, Number 25
Saturday, August 16, 1919, Page 1
      Staunton miners were visited by a delegation from Gillespie this week and forced to quit work, according to press reports Thursday.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Franklin Reporter, Franklin Grove, Illinois
Volume 52, Number 40
Thursday, October 2, 1919, Page 3
      Thomas Rinaker of Carlinville, received from Hon. John M. Woodson of St. Louis, a deed conveying to the Blackburn university his farm of about 1,000 acres with the coal underlying it, situated in Gillespie township, and directions to deliver the same to the authorities of the university. The land, at a very conservative valuation, is worth $50,000, while the coal, situated as it is, is of much greater value.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Franklin Reporter, Franklin Grove, Illinois
Volume 52, Number 47
Thursday, November 20, 1919, Page 6
      The strike that has held up the telephone service at Gillespie and Benld has been settled and service resumed. The operators were granted the scale of prices that prevail at Taylorville, Pana and Nokomis.
- - - - -       - - - - -

1. Sanborn fire insurance map provided courtesy of the Map Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2. Photographs courtesy of Jill Secoy
3. Coal Age; New York; Vol. 7 No. 3
4. Coal Age; New York; Vol. 4 No. 26

© 2018    Wayne Hinton
Coal Mining logo