Wayne's World of History and Genealogy

Home | About | Contact | Facebook logo
Gillespie Historic header
1920 - 1929
William E. Brown served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-18-1919 to 5-7-1923
A newspaper, The Gillespie Record, was established by Tom Dayball and operated for about two years.
1922 -- The water system was installed. - The "Little Dog Mine" was purchased by John Henderson. - The Peoples State Bank was organized.
W. A. Hamilton served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-7-1923 to 5-4-1925
1924 Maple Street School was constructed.
Harry D. Brown served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-4-1925 to 5-2-1927
1926 - 1930 -- IL Rt 4 was used as an alternate U S Route 66
1927 Sewers were installed.
Walter Orr served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-2-1927 to 5-6-1929
1928 Gas distribution was installed in Gillespie.
William E. Brown served as Mayor of the City of Gillespie 5-6-1929 to 5-6-1935

Girls Class in gymnasium
Gillespie High School
Girls Class in the new gymnasium
Gillepsie High School
Gillespie High School & Gymnasium 2

The 1920's
- - - - -
      1920 brought a different atmosphere to the country as well as the local area with Prohibition taking effect. The 18th Amendment was proposed on December 18, 1917, ratified on January 16, 1919, and went into effect on January 16, 1920. Known as the "Volstead Act" and during which the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcohol were banned, lasted until the amendment was repealed by the 21st Amendment, on December 5, 1933.
      In December of 1921, Sheriff's officers, Frank Cramer, William Homer, and Louis Huenger raided a farm on the land of John McWain, in the woods about five miles east of the city. Corn mash was found in two large cisterns, along with about 40 gallons of corn whiskey. Arrested was Nicholi Battista, who had rented the farm in August.
      To start the new year of 1921, the undertaker, Harry Floyd, got a Meteror, a car built for pallbearers, but could be converted to be used as an ambulance, or as referred to then: an invalid coach.
Hearse       The Meteor Motor Car Company has its roots beginning in 1912 when Maurice Wolfe purchased The Clark Motor Car Company in Shelbyville, Indiana and then from 1912-1916 in Piqua, Ohio. The Clark Motor Car Company then became The Meteor Motor Car Company and produced a new car called the Meteor. The Meteor was produced as Touring Cars and Roadster. After 1916 the company made ambulances and hearses. The company pioneered the direct sales of funeral vehicles by monthly mailings to all of the nation funeral homes and through ads placed in funeral magazines. They began a new glass-sided eight-column hearse in 1920.
      The Louis Cordum farm, northeast of Gillespie was the site chosen for a new coal mine in February of 1921. During June of that year, building lots were being sold for the new town of Henderson. The vein of coal was struck in August of 1921. The Kimberly Mine was operated by the Perry Coal Company from 1922 - 1923.
      That June a fire engine arrived to replace the existing horse-drawn one and it had a siren fire whistle that was said to be able to be heard all over town.
      The same month a lot was purchased on Chestnut Street in Gillespie by John Peart & Son for the purpose of building a theater. The last of October was the opening, even though not completed because it still lacked some fixtures.
      June of 1921 was the start of a Country club, with land being secured north of Gillespie. The dam was completed in September and golf links, tennis court and croquet grounds were being laid out. A new golf course was opened in May of 1925.
      Late September of 1921 was the beginning of a soft drink manufacturer in Gillespie as the "Whistle" bottling plant started operations. Whistle originated in the midwest by Silvester Jones and was very popular in the 1920s.
      The Liberty Mine, started by Sam M. Westwood, and operated as the Gillespie Coal Company, began during 1918. In 1922 John Henderson purchased it. The mine was known as the Liberty Mine from its beginning until 1940 and in 1941 it was operated by the Perry Coal Company and known as Perry Mine until 1945. Clarence V. Beck, of St. Louis, MO., purchased the mine in 1945 and it became known as Little Dog Mine. The name remained until its closing in 1968. The Illinois Annual Coal Reports show the owner as the Florida Coal Company of St. Louis during 1967 to 1968, but not sure if any coal was mined by or under this company's name.
      In Gillespie on the west side of the main street, was the location of a new type of store for this area when the Piggly Wiggly began in the later part of 1922.
      During the fall of 1923, the Ku Klux Klan was actively holding meetings around the area. One at a farm north of Gillespie, and another at the Community High School grounds. These meetings were being attended by large crowds. Along with the other things they were noted for, the opposition to alcohol was one of their reasons for holding recruitment meetings in mining areas. They thought that the ethnic background of the immigrants from Europe, who came to this country to work in the coal mines, was one of being prone to bootlegging alcohol.
      Though others had autos, including Buicks and Fords, Charles Bowersack was another that made up the list of some of the first car owners, when he purchased an International in the early part of 1924. International Harvester produced the Auto Buggy when the company made an effort to get into car manufacture. About 1500 roadsters and touring cars. It was decided to revert to truck production as being more in line with their farm-orientated function.
      Some of the business in 1924 were the Gillespie Home Telephone Company, Gillespie Creamery, Gillespie Gas Company, H. C. McCabe blacksmith shop, John Rauzi's garage, Gillespie National Bank.
      In August of 1924 the telephone companies of Carlinville, Gillespie, Girard and Virden consolidated.
      The Maple Street School was constructed in 1924. It was hoped to be ready for use at the start of school in 1925 right after the New Year holiday break.
      Public utilities started arriving in Gillespie when the water system was installed in 1924, followed by sewers in 1927 and the following year a gas distribution system was installed.
      U. S. Route 66 -- As the new U. S. Route 66 was being built about eight or so miles further east, Illinois Route 4 through Gillespie and the rest of Macoupin County was designated as an Alternate U. S. Route 66.
      In 1927, Mr. Pauley was the general agent for the Maytag Washer.
      Around Memorial Day in 1928, a new swimming pool opened on west Broadway in Gillespie.
(It was suggested that this is the current location of the Dairy Queen).
      Art Newman, was one of the men who testified against Charlie Birger in his trial where he was convicted, and on April 19, 1928, Charlie Birger became the last man to be legally hanged in the State of Illinois; for ordering the murder of Joe Adams, Mayor of West City, IL
      Art Newman was a resident of Gillespie for a period of time. His World War I draft registration of June 5, 1917, lists Arthur Samuel Newman, age 28 years of age as residing in Gillespie. His date of birth is shown as Sept. 26, 1888 and born in Ruthburn, Tenn. A married, caucasian who is short with a medium build, brown eyes and black hair and has no physical defects. His occupation is listed as a salesman for the Royal Tea Co. of Springfield, Ill. and his person to contact just says wife. This document is signed by W. E. Schmidt and is in Precinct 4, of Gillespie, Illinois. Mr. Newman was the son of James J. and Alza Jane "Jennie" Newman and married Bessie Elizabeth Payne.
      By the 1920 census, he was living in E. St. Louis as the owner of the Arlington Hotel and on the 1930 census he is an inmate at Joliet, IL. in the Illinois State Penitentiary. He was paroled on June 26, 1953 and died on Feb. 4, 1980 in Sun City, Arizona
      Art Newman had a financial association with the Shelton brothers, of bootlegging infamy in St. Clair Co., IL. Art Newman and the Shelton brothers had once worked together in the coal mines at Carterville in Williamson Co., IL. He later broke his connection with the Sheltons and joined with their archenemy, Charlie Birger. The Shelton brothers robbed a mail carrier in Collinsville, IL., were caught and sentenced to prison at Leavenworth, Kansas, primarily by the testimony of Art Newman and Charlie Birger.

David "Scotty" Livingstone
David Livinstone
[Most of the items below are from a collection of newspaper clippings provided by Jim McDowell.]
      CHICAGO, ILL., May 1 . -- Jock David Livingstone who started last Tuesday afternoon to break the world's "long distance" piano playing record, was forced to stop Friday after completing forty-nine hours of consecutive playing. -- [The New York Clipper, New York, Volume 70 Number 13, May 3, 1922, Page 17]
      On July 3, 1922 Macoupin's marathon piano player fell exhausted today after 57 hours and 40 minutes of continuous playing. David Livingstone of Gillespie, who attempted to break his present record at Eagarville, was forced to quit today, it is said, because he ate too much food and grew suddenly ill. His present record is 66 hours. -- [The State Journal]
      July 25, 1922 -- David "Scotty" Livingstone, the Marathon piano player, who is trying to beat his own record here, is still playing and this is his seventy-first hour. About two weeks ago he attempted to beat his own record but took a weak spell at the fifty-ninth hour on account of having eaten something which made him sick. -- [unknown]
      July 26, 1922 -- David "Scotty" Livingstone now claims the world's championship for endurance in piano playing. He began playing at 6 o'clock Saturday morning at Domenic Angelo's hall, and played continuously until 6:20 o'clock Tuesday morning making a record of 72 hours, 20 minutes and 30 seconds. The world's championship has been held by Elbert Pugne of Little, France, for three years. -- [The State Journal]
      July 26, 1922 -- Dave Livingston beat the world's record for continuous playing on the piano at Eagarville last week, having played 72 hours, 30 minutes and 20 seconds. During the entire performance large crowds visited him to witness his performance. It was a great test of endurance, and he is very proud of the record that he made. -- [Gillespie News]
      July 31, 1922 -- The world championship for long-distance playing was brought to Macoupin County, Tuesday morning, when David J. (Scotty) Livingstone quit at Dominic Angelo's Hall at Eagarville after 72 hours, 20 minutes and 30 seconds of continuous performance. The title of American Marathon champion was won by Livingstone at Gary, Ind. some time ago, when he held the record at 66 hours, 20 minutes. The previous record held for long-distance piano playing was held by a Frenchman, who played 71 hours, 9 minutes. -- [St. Louis Globe Democrat, August 12, 1922]
      EAGERVILLE, Ill., July 31. -- David J. Livingston has put the little town of Eagerville on the map by breaking the world's record for continuous piano playing. Livingstone, a Scotchman left the piano early Sunday morning at the Central saloon after playing continuously for seventy-two hours, twenty minutes and thirty seconds. The previous record was seventy-two hours and nine minutes. -- [The New York Clipper, New York, Volume 70 Number 26, August 2, 1922, Page 2]
      October 1, 1924 -- The career of David J. Livingstone, who annexed a world's record for marathon piano playing at Maynard, reads like an excerpt from a fascinating novel. When questioned by a News reporter, he recounted a few of the episodes of his colorful life. He was born in Scotland, and when a mere youth entered the Royal Academy of Music at Edinborough, Scotland. He was graduated from the institution with high honors after receiving the degree in music. Then came the Great War. He enlisted in the British army, and was wounded three times while serving under the flag of England. He was honorably discharged from the service and finding little or no opportunity to pursue his art, he sailed for America.
      Shortly after his advent here, a Frenchman by the name of Albert Bognu had established a record for marathon playing. Livingstone, after several attempts, decided to try for a new record. He succeeded in beating the Frenchman by two hours.. Bugno tried several comebacks, and three weeks ago, in an attempt to beat Livingstone's record, died from exhaustion after playing 27 hours. Livingstone, who had been touring the country, arrived at Maynard last week and was persuaded by a number of prominent citizens to try and better his own record. He began Wednesday at midnight and continued until 2 o'clock Sunday morning, thereby playing for 74 hours and 20 seconds.
      He will stay in the Ohio town the remainder of the week, then leave to continue his demonstrations in other cities. -- [Heeling Daily News, Wednesday Evening, October 1, 1924] [newspaper clipping is torn - this may be Wheeling Daily News (1895-1935) Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia]
      Pana, Aug. 25 -- A long distance endurance test of playing a piano continuously, without sleep or rest and being fed at the instrument, while he played with one hand, was conducted at a local billiard hall at 2:56 o'clock Monday afternoon by D. J. Livingstone of Gillespie, a native of London. Livingstone broke his previous record established in Liverpool, England, by playing the instrument continuously 102 hours and 56 minutes.. He started his test at the Maxwell billiard hall last Thursday morning at 8 o'clock and kept steadily at his task day and night until Monday afternoon. His previous record was 102 hours. A portion of the time the playing was at the Pana Furniture store, across the street from the billiard hall, as during certain hours music was non-permissible in the billiard hall. Later Livingstone played at the Singer Sewing Machine and Piano store on East Third street. Monday night he played at the Skating rink on Oak and Third streets. Hundreds of people witnessed the contest at intervals.

- - - - -

Gillespie in newspaper Articles
- - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 9, Number 47
Saturday, January 17, 1920, Page 1
      Jack Summers has returned to this city from Gillespie where he has been employed in a garage for the past six months.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 10, Number 14
Saturday, June 5, 1920, Page 4
Announcement of Coming Wedding.
      The wedding of Rev. Thomas Sower and Miss Ruth Hays of Gillespie, which is set to take place this month, has been announced here. Miss Hays is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Hays of Gillespie and was a school teacher there. The Rev. Sower was formerly pastor of the Methodist church in Gillespie and is now pastor of the Methodist church of this city.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Advertiser, Collinsville, Illinois
Volume 10, Number 15
Saturday, June 12, 1920, Page 1
Rev. Sower and Miss Ruth Hays Married Wednesday
- - - - -
      Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, June 9, at the First Presbyterian church in East St. Louis, was solemnized the marriage of Rev. Thomas B. Sower, pastor of the first Methodist church of this city, to Miss Ruth Hays, of Gillespie, Ill.
      The ceremony was the solemn one of the Methodist Episcopal church and was most impressively pronounced by Dr. C. C. Hall, of East St. Louis, in the presence of the attendants, Miss Ora Hoehn, of Gillespie, and Mr. Seth Sower, brother of the groom.
      The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Hays, of Gillespie, and for a number of years has been engaged as primary teacher in the public schools there. She is popular as an elocutionist, having recently graduated from the Lancaster School of Oratory at Bunker Hill, and has been an active worker in the Methodist church, P. E. O., and order of Eastern Star, of which she is Junior Past Matron. After the ceremony Rev. and Mrs. Sower departed for a short wedding trip by boat to Peoria, Illinois.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 26, Number 38
Thursday, November 11, 1920, Page 3
Red Cross Helps School.
      The Red Cross does not wait on time. It does things immediately. For instance, take the chapter in Gillespie, Ill. A new community school has just been completed and many new courses installed. The girls of the school were very desirous of a course in domestic science. The school board, however, did not have sufficient funds to install the necessary fixtures. Here is where the Red Cross stepped in. The chapter took the matter in hands and within a very short time had raised the necessary funds with which to purchase the necessary equipment. The girls not only have the domestic science course, but they are now able to prepare hot lunches for the pupils.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
Bureau County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois
Volume 50, Number 21
May 27, 1921, Page 4
Court To Decide Ownership Of Car
- - - - -
      The ownership of a Hudson car recently bought by Max Miller, of Spring Valley promises to develop into a legal tangle which will be hard to unravel.
      On March 7, a man named Bob Morello traded, an Oldsmobile car to the Central Garage, at Gillespie, for a Hudson. Four days later he drove the car to Spring Valley and offered it for sale. For the past two months he has been trying to dispose of the car in all towns in that vicinity. Finally a deal was made with Max Miller, who purchased the car for $550.
      In the meantime it developed that, the Oldsmobile car traded to the Gillespie garage had been stolen four days previous at St. Louis. The Gillespie people commenced a search for Morello and heard he was in the vicinity of Spring Valley. R. A. McFarland, proprietor of the garage, J. P. Madden, city attorney of Gillespie and Deputy Sheriff Russel, of Macoupin county went to Spring Valley, replevied the Hudson car and returned to Gillespie.
      No trace of Morello has been discovered since he sold the car. Max Miller is out $550, but the Gillespie people have furnished a $1,500 bond to cover any loss he may sustain and the matter will be threshed out at the September term of court.
- - - - -       - - - - -

The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 21, Number 175
Saturday, June 25, 1921, Page 1
- - - - -
(By United Press)
      Cavlinville, Ill., June 25 -- Under the grilling cross examination of Macoupin county authorities and grasping her l4-months old baby-to her breast. Mrs. Katherine Harmon early today sobbed out the story of how she killed her 19-year old stepson, Roy Harmon. She killed Harmon by striking him three times over the head with an axe during an argument Sunday morning over an assault he committed upon her the previous night.
      Mrs. Harmon and her husband quarreled often according to the testimony of the neighbors and the murdered man's father left home two weeks ago.
      Mrs. Harmon declared in her confession that young Harmon came home Saturday night crazed with liquor, broke into her room beat and assaulted her and threatened to kill her if she told his father of the assault. Sunday morning she buried the body near her home but dug it up Wednesday and threw it into the farm well. Mrs. Harmon went to Gillespie, Monday and mailed a letter to the boy's grandmother saving he had been kidnapped and was being held for ransom. She then scrubbed the kitchen with lye until her hands were burned to remove the grewsome stains.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
In 1922 The Peoples State Bank was organized.
Bank & WWI Monument
Bank building located at the corner of Macoupin & Chestnut Streets 2
World War I Monument is in the center of Chestnut Street facing Macoupin Street
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Ashton Gazette, Ashton, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 47
Thursday, January19, 1922, Page 2
      Springfield. Some coal mines in Illinois that have withstood all previous slumps in business are closing down, according to reports received at Springfield, with no other explanation than "no business." Among the latest to close was the Springfield district mine at Riverton, which had operated 15 years without a stop. Its 400 men are now looking elsewhere for work. The management announced the closing was for an indefinite period. Other reports were that mines in Mt. Olive, Staunton and Gillespie have closed.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Prairie Farmer, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 72 Number 14
February 11, 1922, Page 23
ad - Leghorn Eggs
- - - - -       - - - - -
The St. Anne Record, St. Anne, Illinois
Volume 32, Number 42
Thursday, May 11, 1922, Page 3
      Marking the first step in litigation to disorganize the community high school district of Gillespie. Judge Frank W. Burton of Carlinville, while presiding on the Sangamon county Circuit court bench, granted Attorney Reece of Taylorvllle permission to file information in quo warranto. He ordered the writ returnable June 5, the opening day of the Macoupin county Circuit court. The quo warranto writ charges that the Gillespie district is illegal inasmuch as it does not conform with the act of the legislature authorizing organization of community high school districts because of the fact that the territory embraced is not compact and contiguous.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Marion Semi-Weekly Leader, Marion, Illinois
Volume 46, Number 361
Friday, May 19, 1922, Page 4
- - - - -

B. H. Firth of Gillespie Now in Charge of Slogo Mine Northeast of Marion.
- - - - -
      B. H. Firth who recently came to Marion from Gillespie, Illinois, is the new superintendent of the Slogo Mine Company, having taken charge early in May. Mr. Firth is a genial as well as an able mine manager and is already making many friends in his new home. He came here from Sioux City, Iowa, where he was the secretary and manager of the Hoskins-Cantine Fuel Company and prior to that was the general superintendent of the coal department of the Standard Oil Company with headquarters at Carlinville. Before taking up the latter position Mr. Firth was a state executive board member of the United Mine Workers of America.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Macomb Daily By-Stander, Macomb, Illinois
Volume 18, Number 154
Monday, June 5 1922, Page 6
      Thursday Prof. U. S. Collins and family left for their new home in Gillespie where Mr. Collins will be Superintendent of the Community High School for the coming year. Prof. Collins has been head of the Table Grove schools for five years and the community as a whole are sorry to have them go as he and Mrs. Collins have been a great help in church music and social affairs and will be greatly missed. The best wishes of the entire community go with them to their larger field of service.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Bureau County Tribune, Princeton, Illinois
Volume 51, Number 29
July 28, 1922, Page 4
George M. Jones.
- - - - -
      George M. Jones, brother of the late Mrs. Cedelia Trowbridge, of Princeton and one of Gillespie's oldest citizens, passed away at his home in that city, July 11th at the age of 77 years, 6 months and 19 days of age. He had been in poor health for over two years and his death was not unexpected.
      The deceased was born in Princeton, III., December 28, 1844, and was the son of William and Lucretia Jones. In the year 1862 at the age of 17 years, he enlisted in the Civil war, and was a member of Company C, 89th Infantry of Illinois.
      He was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Phillips, of Vandalia, September 20, 1868. On October 21, 1873, he was again married, the second time to Miss Mary Fhitmore, who survives him. To this union were born four boys and two girls. The children surviving are: Arthur, Irvin, Neal, Roy and Flossie. Maud having died at the age of 14 months. Mr. Jones was the last of a family of six, his nearest relatives being a nephew, Chas. Stockdale, of Pine, Colorado.
      The deceased had been a resident of Gillespie for the past 44 years. He was well known and highly respected and was a member of the Masonic lodge of Gillespie under whose auspices the funeral was conducted. He had been a member of that lodge for 56 years.
      The funeral procession was headed by the American Legion band, a mark of respect shown Mr. Jones, as he was an old soldier.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Quill, La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois
Volume 31, Number 18
Tuesday, August 29, 1922, Page 4
      Blinded by the headlights of an approaching car, an accident occurred near Gillespie and resulted in the death of Mrs. lester Brown of that city.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The True Republican, Sycamore, DeKalb County, Illinois
Volume 65 Number 35
August 30, 1922, Page 1
- - - - -

As Four Young People Emerged From In Under Overturned Automobile It Took Fire And Was Totally Destroyed
- - - - -
      The big Reo roadster owned by Miss Anna Niebergall was completely destroyed by fire and she and three young friends had a miraculous escape about 11:30 last Sunday forenoon on the newly graded road about halfway between Henry Turk's and the Charles Bisley place southwest of Earlville.
      Miss Niebergall and Miss Clara Brown, of Gillespie, accompanied by, Irwin Smith, of Champaign and Reat Nail, of Hillsboro, started for Mendota shortly after 11 o'clock
      Mr. Smith was driving the Reo roadster. Just after passing the bridge near the scene of the accident, the car struck the soft-dirt and skidded and the driver in attempting to right it, lost control and it shot across the ditch to the west and then turning east, tipped completely over, with the front end resting on the highway and the rear end on the other side of the ditch at the roadside. The ditch was two feet deep or so, and into this ditch the four people were thrown, none of them being caught by the car, which fact undoubtedly saved their lives.
      Almost before they had gotten out from under the car, the gasoline leaking from the tank caught fire and in a few minutes the machine was enveloped in flames that leaped high in the air. Before the injured were loaded into the cars to be taken home the gasoline tank exploded with a report like a cannon. Nothing was saved from the car but one wheel and tire and the headlights. The loss was partially covered by insurance
      Miss Brown's collar bone was broken and Mr. Smith received a deep gash in the forehead and the others were bruised, but none were seriously injured.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The True Republican, Sycamore, DeKalb County, Illinois
Volume 65 Number 35
August 30, 1922, Page 1
Back to the Mines
Back to Mines 1922 photo
      With 65 mines and 10,000 miners resuming work in the Belleville section of Illinois, this picture, taken at Gillespie, is typical of many in that district since the signing of the Cleveland and Chicago agreements.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Daily Illini, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
Volume 52 Number 158
Friday, March 23, 1923, Page 7
      The Gillespie trust and savings bank of Gillespie was dissolved.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Daily Illini, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
Volume 53 Number 100
January 8, 1924, Page 2
Garage Burns
      SPRINGFIELD -- Twenty-three autos were burned early this morning at Gillespie , when the Al Martin garage was destroyed by fire which did damage estimated at $50,000. A residence near the garage building also burned.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 24, Number 46
Tuesday, January 29, 1924, Page 2
Luck Attends Workman When Fuse Blows Out
(By United Press)
      Gillespie, Ill., Jan. 29 -- Fate that played a trick not unlike a movie thriller saved the life of Charles Jackson, an employee of the Wabash pumping station here.
      While working about the machinery Jackson's clothes caught in a cog wheel. He was being drawn through the cogs when the fuse on the power line blew out and stopped the machinery.
      Though he suffered severe bruises around the body Jackson is expected to recover. Officials insist the fuse did not blow out due to the accident, but was merely a kind trick of fate to save Jackson's life,
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 24, Number 259
October 7, 1924, Page 1
Statewide Search Is Begun for Lost Bride
      Gillespie, Ill., Oct 7. -- A statewide search is being instituted today for Marguerite Kahl, 21, bride of a month, who disappeared from her home at Shipman several days ago.
- - - - -       - - - - -
SS Simon & Jude's School 1924
S. S. Simon & Jude's Parochial School 1924 3
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Daily Illini, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
Volume 54 Number 158
Saturday, March 1, 1925, Page 1
- - - - -

Regular Local Crashes Into Line Car Standing Near Trestle
- - - - -
      CARLINVILLE, Mar. 29 -- Six people were dead and at least three more are expected to die tonight as the result of a head on collision between two Illinois Traction system cars south of here this afternoon. Five persons, four passengers and the motorman of one of the cars were dead when rescuers reached the scene of the wreck. A fifth passenger died in a Springfield hospital shortly after the relief train reached this city and doctors say that several other survivors have only a ghost of a chance to recover.
The dead:
      Babe Shannon, 13, of Virden; George Goldberg, St. Louis; Henry Robnson, 16, Carlinville high school student: William Peele, Staunton motorman, Unindentified man.
      Mrs. Mary Mienecke, Gillespie, who died in a Springfield hospital.
The seriously injured are :
      Mrs. John W. Clear, Girard, spine and legs broken; R. W. Larrimore, Staunton, lineman, badly fractured skull; Mrs. Katherine De Laney of Carlinville, bruises and lacerations; Mrs. Katherine Shannon, Virden, serious internal injuries.
      The wreck occurred when the regular local train from Springfield to St. Louis crashed in to a line-car standing on an embankment leading away from a trestle. According to Kenneth Wadsworth, 18, of Plainview, who was sitting in the front of the passenger train, the train was moving at its usual speed when he saw the work train ahead of him. He heard two whistles and was trying to get to the back of the car when the crash came. J. J. Lindsey, motorman of the line car, was the only survivor from the work car that could talk.
      He could not explain the tragedy unless "orders were overlooked some place." Young Wadsworth although suffering from a broken wrist, assisted in the rescue.
      Others less seriously injured, included J. H. Roberts, Carlinville, conductor of the passenger train, thought to have a fractured hip; Marshall Preston, 32, Gary, Ind., leg fractured; Julia E. Wadsworth, Plainview, possible internal injuries; J. J. Lindsey, Staunton, Motorman of the work train, possible internal injuries and Vic Fore, Staunton, conductor of the work train, possible internal injuries.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The Urbana Daily Courier, Urbana, Illinois
Volume 48 Number 87
April 13, 1925, Page 5
Girl Killed on Trestle
      Gillespie, Ill., April 14., -- Georgia Stevens, 13, is dead here as the result of injuries sustained yesterday when she was hurled from an Illinois traction trestle by a passing car. The girl, who was crossing the trestle, saw the approaching train, but was struck before she could reach safety. She died while enroute to a Litchfield hospital.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 25, Number 219
Saturday, August 22, 1925, Page 1
Dies from Effect of Kick by Horse
(By United Press)
      Gillespie, Ill., Aug. 22 -- M. Shaycraft, 57, is dead as a result of injuries sustained when he was kicked in the head by a horse. He died yesterday several hours after the accident.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
circa 1926
Gillespie Public School
Eighth Grade Graduation
Grade School Band program - - - W. C. Varner, Director
Loyalty, Flower Bell, Our Leader, Class March, Class Song
Invocation - - - Rev. Krekeler
Salutatory Address - - - Gershom Cohn
Girls' Quartette - - - Zola Dickinson, Virginia Schmidt, Dorothy Hammond, Ellen Fisher
Eight Grade Girls Glee Club
Violin Solo - - - Robert Tippins - - - - - Accompaniment, Ellen Fisher
Boys' Quartette - - - Harold Seaman, Madison Fisher, George Seaman, Pete Kovacevich
Grade School Orchestra - - - "New York Life" "The Dream" "Cupids Heart" "The Lilac" "Boys Brigade"
Boys' Glee Club - - - Seventh and Eighth Grade Boys
Valedictory Address - - - Zola Dickinson
Address to Class - - - Victor Hemphill
Presentation of Diplomas - - - Harold Isaacs, Pres. of Board
Benediction - - - Rev. Yates
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Chicago Packer, Chicago, Illinois
Volume 32 Number 58
June 11, 1927, Page 11
      Gillespie, Ill. -- The peach crop in Macoupin county and surrounding territory was winter killed. Elbertas, J. H. Hales and Crawfords are grown principally. -- T. L. L
      Gillespie, Ill. -- All of the local Elberta and Hale peach crops have been killed and no movement will be on until 1928. A heavy freeze was responsible for the kill. -- A. W. L. & Son.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 232
Saturday, September 10, 1927, page 7
Neighbors in Wide Hunt for a Lost Farmer
      Chatham, Ill., Sept. 10. --(U.P.)-- With the offer of a $75 reward to spur them on, citizens of this neighborhood made a systematic search today for Daniel Mulcahy, 61, retired farmer, who has been missing from his home in Chatham since last Sunday.
      Two search parties, one starting in East St. Louis and another in Chatham, were working toward each other today, combing every inch of the hard road between the two points.
      Since his disappearance Muleahy has been seen several times. Mayor William Jordan and former County Clerk Charles Byers returned yesterday after an unsuccessful trip to Gillespie where Mulcahy was reported to have been.
      A man with sandy hair and a partly gray mustache was seen yesterday three miles south of Carlinville on the hard road. As this answered Mulcahy's description, Jordan organized today's search along the highway.
      It is not known what impelled the prosperous farmer to walk away from his home without a word.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 240
Tuesday, September 20, 1927, Page 6
Woman Killed in Auto Wreck at a Crossing
      Litchfield, Ill., Sept. 20 --(U.P.)-- One woman is dead and three others injured, one seriously, as a result of a grade crossing accident here yesterday afternoon.
      Mrs. Hugh Rice, 33, wife of the assistant cashier of the Gillespie National Bank, was instantly killed and Mrs. Fred Behrens. 35, wife of Gillespie physician was severely injured. Others less seriously injured were Mrs. W. E. Schmidt and Mrs. Robert Henderson both of Gillespie.
      The machine in which the four women were riding was struck by a motor train on the Big Four railroad at the water works crossing, three miles east of Litchfield.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 257
Monday, October 10, 1927, Page 2
Plenty of Timber Says Western Lumber Expert
      St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 10 --(U.P.)-- Conservative manufacture of standing and growing timber in the northwest states will supply as much lumber as has been used in the United States since the revolution, in the opinion of J. M. Crawford. Walla Walla. Washington lumber man here on a business trip. Crawford formerly was in the lumber business with his father, the late Dr. J. B. Crawford, at Gillespie, Illinois.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 27, Number 267
Friday, October 21, 1927, Page 1
Gas Station Robber Sought by Officials
      Gillespie, Ill., Oct. 21 --(U.P.)-- A search was being made in this vicinity today for an unidentified bandit who robbed the Standard Oil filling station here of $50. The robber forced Martin Neylon, high school student employed as station attendant, to open the safe for him. After taking the cash, he drove off with a companion.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 9
Tuesday, December 20, 1927, Page 4
Arrest Two on Theft Charge at Gillespie
      St. Louis. Mo., Dec. 20 --(U.P.)-- Alexaneler McCurdy, 21, and Paul Chadwick, 17, were placed under arrest here yesterday, by Macoupin county, Illinois authorities for an attempted barbecue holdup near Gillespie Sunday.
      McCurdy was found in a hospital suffering from gunshot wounds while Chadwick was found at the home of relatives. According to authorities. Chadwick admitted being with McCurdy at the time, but denied previous knowledge there was to be a holdup.
      The two men who held up the stand were driven off by gunfire.
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
Gillespie's main Street 1928
Postcard view of Macoupin Street in 1928 2
at Chestnut Street looking north.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 111
Thursday, April 19,1928, Page 1
Mine Leaders Injured When Brick Lands
      Sawyerville, Ill., April 18. --(U.P.)-- Two sub district officers of the miners' union were injured here today when a woman standing in the ranks of pickets stationed about mine No. 2 of the Superior Coal company, threw a brick at them as they were riding in an automobile. The men, Joe Carnolia, president of sub-district No. 6, and Fullerton Fulton, member of the executive board, were cut about the head when the brick shattered the windshield in the automobile.
      No arrests were made.
      Today's trouble follows the outbreak of near violence here yesterday when dinner pails wore taken from the men entering the pits and curtains were torn from automobiles carrying the miners. Later a crowd of 1,500 men, women and children marched to Gillespie, adjacent coal mining center, where it was dispersed by authorities.
      About 1,000 "save the union" advocates were stationed at the local mine today. Sheriff E. M. Stubblefield, aided by 30 special deputies, was on the scene and held the conflicting forces in check. The "save the union" advocate demand that all miners cease work in an effort to being about a wage settlement more satisfactory to them
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 139
Tuesday, May 22, 1928, Page 3
Thief Evidently Was Fond of His Music
      St. Louis. Mo., May 22. --(U.P.)-- St. Louis police were asked today to look for a one-man band, James Basso of Gillespie, Ill, reported that a man stole a trombone, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet and trap drum and accessories from his automobile yesterday.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 146
Thursday, May 31, 1928, Page 2
Woman Killed in Fall From An Interurban
      Gillespie, Ill., May 31 --(U.P.)-- Mrs. George Frankenstein, 45, Tallula, was fatally injured yesterday when she either jumped or fell from an Illinois Traction System car.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 179
Monday, July 9, 1928, Page 1
Is Killed When Hit by Lightning Bolt
      Gillespie, Ill., July 9 --(U.P.)-- Robert Powers, 7, was killed here instantly last evening when struck by lightning as he was hurrying home to escape a threatening thunder storm. The bolt struck just as the lad was passing under a tree near his home. The tree was burned badly but not shattered. The parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Powers witnessed their son's death.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 28, Number 252
Thursday, October 4, 1928, Page 3
Argument Over Small Sum Costs Life of Woodsman
      Litchfield, Ill., Oct. 4. --(U.P.)-- Miles Sawyer, 38, a woodchopper of Wilsonville, shot September 16 in an argument over two dollars died in a hospital here yesterday, and as a result, James Whitteco of Gillespie, is held in the Macoupin county jail at Carlinville on charges of murder.
- - - - -       - - - - -
1928 Seniors 1
Seniors 1928 1
1928 Seniors 2
Class of 1928

In Memoriam
      Lola Rolando, a member of the class of 1928; passed away at the St. Francis Hospital, Litchfield, Illinois, on Wednesday, February 15, 1928, after an illness of over three months. At the time of her death she was 17 years, 2 months and 22 days. the funeral was conducted from the SS. Simon and Jude Church Saturday morning, February 18; Reverend Father Crosson officiated. Members of the Senior Class were the pallbearers and flower girls.
      She was always a conscienious, faithful and dependable student and friend. the faculty and the student body extend their sympathy to her family.
- - - - -
ATHLETICS OF 1928-1929
Gillespie 1928 Football Team
Gillespie Community High School Football Team 2
      The Orange and Black football season ended November 17. The season may be considered a success, Gillespie winning five out of nine games. According to the score Gillespie totaled 133 points to the opponents 62. The nucleus of the team was made up of three letter men from last year. Decker, Brown and Houchard. Houchard was this year's captain. the other members of the team were as follows:
Ends -- Decker, Fellin, Main
Tackles -- Boetta, Rolando
Guards -- Henderson, Erspamer, Anderson, Roglis
Centers -- Steer, W. Rademacher
Halfbacks -- Brown, Picco, Cross, C. Rademacher
Quarters -- Houchard, Lochrie
- - - - -       - - - - -

- - - - -
The Daily Illini, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
Volume 58 Number 170
Thursday, March 28, 1929, Page 8
"Will You Please Leave?"
      About 2500 people were jammed like sardines into places for 2,100. "By the time a late delegation of several hundred from Gillespie 'crashed' the gate (they had paid but couldn't get in) there was just about enough space on the hardwood to stage a miniature marble tournament."
One For 50
      "No one, not even an official, saw a sideline marker Thursday night. The overflow bulged way out on the playing court; along the sides and in the comers. When the can wasn't quite full and R. D. Brummitt, Pana principal and tourney manager, decided a few more sardines could be packed in, he requested M. A. Clark of St. Louis, one of the officials, to make an announcement. He did and this was it:
      'Now will all you people from Shelbyville and. Elkhart who have seen your teams play kindly leave the gym and make room for the Gillespie people waiting outside to see Gillespie play?'
      "That seemed to be the best parlor joke, of the evening from; the results. One person left (actual count) and another batch of 50 took his seat!"
- - - - -       - - - - -
Easter, 1929
Gangster Murder

newspaper clipping, unknown publication
Courtesy of Colin Murphy
- - - - -
Frank Hines, Alleged Hijacker, and Smith Tucker Slain
      WILSONVILLE, Ill., March 31 -- Two men were shot and killed in an alleged gang up-flaring on the outskirts of Wilsonville at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon by an automobile load of assassins who whirled their machine after the shooting and escaped toward Gillespie, from which direction they had come. Wilsonville is about sixty miles northeast of St. Louis.
      The victims are Frank Hines, 28, alleged holdup man, auto thief and hijacker, and his brother-in-law, Smith Tucker 27. The men were coming into Wilsonville from Gillespie, where they formerly lived, driving a small car on the new hard road. A "big", blue sedan drove up behind.
      On of its occupants shouted to the men ahead and they stopped their car. Hines got out and started back toward the sedan. Two men got out of it and, as he came to greet them, started firing. Hines fell and the men turned their fire on Tucker.
      Tucker was shot four times in the head, the bullets entering at the back after passing through his car. Hines had four wounds in the head, one in the heart and three in other parts of his body.
      The bullets that killed them were .45-caliber, such as are used in both sub-machine guns and pistols, and it could not be determined definitely which type of weapon was used.
      The shooting was witnessed by three school boys who were walking down the road about 100 yards from the scene of the shooting. They were so startled they failed to obtain the license number of the car as it sped away. They said there were four or five men in it.
- - - - -       - - - - -
      Frank 'Curly' HINES and Clyde Smith TUCKER were married to sisters, daughters of Henry T. & Mary Ann (nee Raynor) MEINECKE
Both men are buried in Gillespie City Cemetery
Hines Tombstone Photo
1899 - 1929
Tucker Tombstone Photo
Clyde Smith
1889 - 1929
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 94
Monday, April 1, 1929, Page 1
- - - - -

East St. Louis Booze Vendetta Results In Death Of Two Young Men
- - - - -
- - - - -
      Carlinville, Ill., April 1 --(U.P.)-- Vengeance of an East St. Louis gang was blamed by Sheriff E. M. Stubblefield, of Macoupin county today for the murder of Frank Hines, 28, and Smith Tucker, 27, brother-in-law, near Wilsonville Sunday.
      Seven boys who witnessed a sedan full of men overtake the Hines-Tucker car, order them out, and riddle them with bullets at 1:30 p. m. yesterday will be called for a coroner's inquest at 2:00 p. m. tomorrow.
      Both of the slain men had police records, according to Stubblefield, who said that Hines at the time of his death was sought as an auto thief that Tucker a year ago had been arrested on suspicion but later released.
      'It is my theory," the sheriff told the United Press today. "That Hines, who with Tucker had been slipping in here regularly to see their wives, got into a jam with a gang at East St. Louis and that the gang trailed them here yesterday and bumped them off."
      No trace of the sedan was found after it sped from the scene of the murders, he said. It overtook the smaller car, ordered Hines out, and two of its occupants fired eight shots Into the man, killing him instantly. Tucker, still in his car, was killed by a fusillade of shots fired into the car.
Is A Bloody Easter
      Carlinville, Ill., April 1 --(U.P.)-- Machine gun gangsters spent Easter Sunday in Macoupin county long enough to execute a double murder in true hoodlum style and then disappeared in the general direction of St. Louis in a large automobile.
      The two victims were Frank "Curley" Hines, 30, and his brother-in-law. Smith Tucker, 28. Both men were residents of Gillespie, but had spent the last several weeks in East St. Louis.
      At the time of the killing, Hines and Tucker were driving on the Bunker Hill hard road near Wilsonville, near here. Macoupin county authorities have pieced a mental picture of what occurred.
      It Is presumed that the men stopped the coupe when the gangsters approached them on the hard road. Hines stepped from the machine and walked a short distance toward them. A machine gun roared from the gangster car, and Hines, with eleven slugs in his body, fell to the ground. The weapon was next directed at Tucker, and he died sitting at the steering wheel of his car. The windshield and windows of the coupe were sprayed with bullets.
      Hines was known to police, being wanted in several cities on charges of stealing automobiles and authorities here today said he was reported to he active in hi-jacking and bootlegging.
      Tucker, however, had no known police record, and it was believed that he merely was killed because he happened to be in the company of Hines.
ALL Clews Are Lacking
      Clews are lacking, but it is believed the gangsters fled to St. Louis.
      An inquest will be conducted Tuesday. Hines was born in Hiteman, Ia. His parents Mr. and Mrs. George Hines, reside in Pekin, Ill. Tucker's family reside at Gillespie.
      Several theories have been advanced for the killings, Hines was mentioned in connection with the alleged hi-jacking of a truckload of liquor near Gillespie last Christmas and his sudden death yesterday may have been an aftermath.
      Following the killings wild rumors were circulated in the vicinity. Last week it was common gossip that a squad of Chicago police were here checking the whereabouts of alleged gangsters from that city. A report that the killings were committed by Chicago hoodlums gained credence when it was reported that Al Capone of Chicago had visited in Macoupin county recently.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 95
Tuesday, April 2, 1929, Page 1
- - - - -

Southern Illinois Tragedy Will Be Looked Into By Coroner at Girard
- - - - -
      Gillespie, Ill., April 2 --(U.P.)-- Coroner J. H. Riffey, of Girard, this afternoon will open a formal inquest into the deaths of Frank "Curley" Hines, and Smith Tucker, both residents of this city, shot and killed Sunday afternoon by machine gun hoodlums as they were driving on the hard road near here. Although eight witnesses have been called to appear before the coroner's jury, little or no evidence is expected to be produced.
      Coroner Riffey has refused to divulge the names of the eight witnesses, lest they refuse to turn up at the inquest. While gang killings are comparatively new to Macoupin county, tactics of the metropolitan killers are well known judging from the silence which greets officials probing the Easter Sunday deaths.
      General belief is, however, that gangsters who sought revenge for the hi-jacking of a truckload of beer killed Hines, and then killed Tucker, not because he was implicated, but because he happened to be in Hines' company. The two men were brothers-in-law.
      The shooting occurred near Wilsonville, near here. A large automobile approached the Tucker machine on the hard road, and both men were killed with a machine gun. Following the slayings, the gangster machine headed south toward St. Louis.
Hines Was Bootlegger
      Springfield, Ill., April 2 --(U.P.)-- General belief that Frank Hines was killed because he was alleged to have hi-jacked $15,000 worth of liquor, was expressed here today. Hines, a well known character to the state capital's underworld, was known to have connections with Chicago and Detroit beer runners, and in December, 1927, he was entrusted with a truck load of liquor valued at $15,000.
      When he arrived in Chicago he allegedly said that the cargo had been hi-jacked near the Indiana line. Later a quantity of the liquor appeared here and sold at bargain prices. It is said, and deputies of Al Capone came to Springfield to investigate. Hines subsequently disappeared. According to well-informed circles here, Hines was friendly with Byron Bolton, now a Detroit gangster and identified as a "lookout" in the St. Valentine's day massacre in Chicago.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 96
Wednesday, April 3, 1929, Page 9
Open Verdict In the Murder By Gangsters
- - - - -
      Gillespie, Ill., April 3 --(U.P.)-- A coroner's jury yesterday returned an open verdict in the deaths of Frank "Curley" Hines and Smith Tucker, residents of this city who were shot to death Easter Sunday presumably by machine gun gangsters as they were driving along the state road near here.
      Three boys, the principal witnesses, could throw but little light on the killings, as they fled because of fright from the scene and took only a passing glance at the murders.
      Because of the interest manifest in the affair, the inquest was conducted in the Pert Theatre, which was more than half filled with townspeople. The officers and jury were seated on the stage and witnesses were seated In front of the movie screen.
- - - - -       - - - - -

The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 119
Tuesday, April 30, 1929, Page 1
Five Are Held For Thefts By Dyer Autos Act
      Springfield, Ill., April 30 --(U.P.)-- Charged with violating the Dyer act, six prisoners were held in the Springfield city prison today awaiting action of the federal grand jury. They were: Lowell Hayes 17; William Trice. 17 and E. J. Mitchell, 17 all of Fort Worth, Tex.; D. A. Brown, 19 Little Rock, Ark., Earl Sturst, 33, Sioux City, la.; and Robert Murdock, 40, Kansas City, Mo.
      The three Fort Worth youths arrested in Gillespie, south of here, are charged with having stolen a machine in the Texas city. Brown arrested in Alton, was said to have stolen an automobile in Little Rock while Murdock and Sturst picked up by Granite City allegedly were driving an automobile taken in Sioux City, la.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 189
Tuesday, July 23, 1929, Page 9
Test Family Cat For Presence of Rabies
      Springfield, Ill., July 23 --(U.P.)-- The state health department diagnostic laboratory today will decide whether or not a cat, the family pet which yesterday attacked and seriously scratched Mrs. Roy Van Doren at Gillespie, has rabies. Immediately after the attack, the cat was killed and its head sent to this city for observation.
- - - - -       - - - - -
The DeKalb Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Illinois
Volume 29, Number 225
Wednesday, September 4, 1929, Page 1
School Bells Terminate An Endurance Stunt
      Gillespie, Ill., Sept. 4 --(U.P.)-- School bells terminated a private endurance contest here yesterday. Archie Gillis, after sitting aloft a flag-pole here for 206 hours came down off his perch and tidied himself to attend the opening day of school. A friend of Archie's took his position atop a pole the same time Archie did, but after several hours of sitting, his parents requested him to come down.
- - - - -       - - - - -
Gillespie 1929 Football Team
Gillespie Community High School Football Team 2
      The opening of the season on September 4, 1929, brought forth about forty candidates, among which were twelve veterans, either letter men or numeral men; namely :
      Adolph Fellin, who plays end and is captain-elect; Ernest Rolando as halfback and tackle; Bill Lochrie, quarterback and halfback; August Erspamer, guard; Lester Boetta, tackle; Carroll Laughlin, fulback; Walter Rademacher as center; and John Picco, halfback. Picco and Laughlin were not in the Edswardsville game as they were subject to injuries. Lyle Henderson played at guard, Bill Roglis at tackle, Dorise Gibbons at end and halfback, Raymond Ulz at center and end. Bob McClaskey and Harry Stevenson were out for ends this year. Others out for places on the gridiron were Stanley Klein at center; Bergen at end; Fontana, guard; Oren Laughlin, fullback; Alex Frame and Stanley Gosconski, halfbacks; Roland Sanders, guard; Rowland Kilburn, John Hunter, Hugh Baxter, Roy Carney, Ralph Roberts, Fullerton Fulton, Willard Carroll, John Quinn, Harry Cavanaugh, John Calvari, Morton, Bethel, Keel, Rainer, Rice, Tretter, Wesley and others.
      The cheer leaders for this year are elected by the classes: Jessie Frew, Senior; Marie Whitlow, Junior; Sammy Gomore, Sophomore; and Warren Brown, Freshman.
- - - - -       - - - - -

1. Photograph courtesy of Carol Ries
2. Photographs courtesy of Jill Secoy
3. Photograph courtesy of Florence Anderson

© 2018    Wayne Hinton
Coal Mining logo