Home Town Award
The Village of Wilsonville in its early days was named Wilson, named after President Wilson. In 1919 when the town was
incorporated it was then called Wilsonville. The Village of Wilsonville was ruled by an aldermanic government, consisting of
a mayor, clerk, treasurer, and six aldermen.
With the population reaching 1,500 in the year 1925, Wilsonville changed from a village to a staus of a city.
At a special meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Wilsonville, Illinois, on March 11, 1932, nominations were made for
a Volunteer Fire Company to consist of 25 active members.
On March 11, 1932, a special meeting was held by the nominees for the organization in the town hall of Wilsonville, Illinois.
Dominick Cavallo was elected chairman and Louis Pellegrini was elected secretary.
was at Wilsonville and it opened in 1916 and closed in 1954.
In 1902 the Superior Coal Company began to open mines in the area.
The Superior Coal Company was owned by Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company,
which had three of the largest coal mines in world for the first half of the twentieth century.